1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Noise cancelling headphones! Oh Joy! (and other ways to block sound)

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance Reactions' started by Unable, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just discovered the bliss offered by noise cancelling headphones!!

I had thought they would only be good for the really severe, and so had never considered them for myself.

However I had started using my ear buds (the ones I use for Audio books) in busy places, and whilst good at muting ambient noise they have limited effect.

Then, at my husband’s suggestion, I tried a set of noise cancelling headphones. We were in a busy shopping area at the time, and when I put the demo headset on, it was like being wrapped in bliss! Incredible! I could still hear stuff, but it was all taken down to soft noise that was much less jarring. I think it was less painful too, although I didn’t realise that so much noise felt “sore” til it was softened by the headphones!

I did know that noise is one thing that can seriously affect my functioning. In a noisy environment my well-being can rapidly plummet, and I can loose my co-ordination, and my speech goes wonky. PEM is then worse if I get to this stage.

Anyway my husband said the look on my face when the noise cancelling was turned on convinced him I needed them! He bought them for me then and there! <3

WOW!

Back home, I really didn’t realise how LOUD our kitchen was!! I’d have said our home was quiet, but it’s not - fridge, clock, boiler and who knows what all creates a constant din.

I won’t wear these all the time, but there are times when I can tolerate very little noise (& light) and for those moments these will be awesome.

They are also fantastic when I’m a passenger in the car. All the road noise is smoothed away.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention here, as although there is awareness of their usefulness for people severely affected by ME, they are also fantastic to help the more moderately affected cope for longer in a busy environment.

:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Binkie4, lunarainbows, Hutan and 40 others like this.
  2. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Unable sounds like an excellent purchase! What sort did you get, there are so many to choose from these days (styles as well as different makes)?

3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are fantastic for plane travel. When I flew from Texas to Toronto, a guy in front of me talked NON-STOP to the poor woman beside him the entire time. (She did not get in a word edgewise.) Had I not had the headphones, I would have stabbed him with my fork.

4. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only time I've ever used any was on a flight to the USA for work, >10yrs ago. We flew business class and they provided Bose noise cancelling cans. I didn't listen to music, just put them on and turned them on. The difference was phenomenal. Being rather naïve I was hoping we'd get to keep them at the end of the flight! If only...

alktipping, hinterland, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use ear plugs AND Bose noise canceling headphone all of the time, except when I'm out driving. At stores, I just use ear plugs.

I have to use both because I have tinnitus as well as noise sensitivity.

And despite these measures, noises still bother me. I suppose my brain interprets apartment and street noise as threats.

I dropped the Bose headphone set and it broke except for the noise cancellation function. I use rechargeable batteries (lithium) for them except for use on airplanes, if and when I ever go.

JemPD, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What do the noise cancelling earphones do to tinnitus?

Ariel, alktipping, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mute it a little, perhaps lower the high-pitch a little. It's the gestalt of the tinnitus plus ambient noise that both the ear plugs and noise cancelers work on. Don't know how others w/tinnitus would say.

Alton, alktipping, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  8. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are amazing, I had to buy some as I was almost suicidal when neighbour below started blasting music every day a few years ago.

Only problem is mine hurt my ears after 20 mins so I have to take them off regularly.

The blasting music still shakes my bedroom floor from beneath but sound wise, I can just barely hear it now.

Luckily the music is no more than an hour a day these days.

alktipping, Kitty, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's always a bit of white/pink noise when noise cancelling is on so it probably just drowns it out a bit. I recently bought an air purifier and the background noise it generates also helps on that. When the tinnitus is low anyway. Mine is barely perceptible unless the room is wery, wery quiet.

I recently bought a really good Bose pair and although I haven't tested them in public yet, the result is pretty impressive. I have the A/C right next to my bedroom window and when noise cancelling is on it cuts about 90% of the noise.

alktipping, Kitty, Annamaria and 6 others like this.
  10. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ll need to check the model, but they are Sony & more expensive than I would have paid, but they are good. (Edit - my husband bought them for me. <3 )

11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have wanted to try this, but I am concerned the headphones would grip my head, causing pain (normal headphones do). So I have waited until it seemed realistic to try some in a store.

Do other people have this head pain problem and what do they do about it re: headphones?

Ear buds bother me, too. If I am laying down, I can use that soft headband style (otherwise the little sound piece isn't close enough to the ear) [edit: for listening to things: these soft headband types don't come in noise cancelling or noise blocking styles as far as I know].

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    alktipping, Daisybell, vsou and 4 others like this.
  12. vsou

vsou Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes headphones and ear buds of all kinds bother or irritate or hurt me. I just ordered the soft headband style to try out.

I don’t think this is a common problem for people from though from what I observe.

I’ve always had trouble with ear buds and ear plugs not fitting correctly in my ears—they are too large and pop out. I guess my ears are too small though they don’t look unusually small.

I’d like to try noise canceling headphones without buying them. I am not getting out much any more. What kind of store would have some to try? (I’m in the US).

It’s difficult having multiple sensory sensitives.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I meant to look at buying some of these during the recent amazon sale... but completely forgot. Good to get the recommendation though.

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can get smaller size ones. On amazon there are loads, I like the moldex spark plugs and they do have different sizes.

15. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I figure that out, I will post about it. =D

I have a worn out earbud with 4 sizes of silicon ear pieces (most come with three) and the smallest one is small enough that I can wear that for a while. My sister bought it for me so I don’t have the ordering information, but if I find it and they still sell that kind, I will post that, too.

alktipping, vsou and ladycatlover like this.
  16. Effi

Effi Established Member (Voting Rights)

Bose seems to have a wordwide 30-day risk free trial ("return within 30 days for a full refund") on all their noise cancelling products (except for custom made products). https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/returns_and_exchanges.html

I have Bose noise cancelling headphones (tried them out for a week before buying, through a family member who had them), am extremely happy with them, don't know how I used to live without them! They're expensive but the best illness related investment I ever made.

It's very personal though, I've heard PWME say they can't take the pressure on their skull/ears etc. So a free trial would be ideal to figure out if you like it or not.

17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

try these they're tiny too small for me really link

also there is a very specific way to insert an earplug to stop them working themselves outwards... Apologies if you already know this but i'd been using them for yrs before i learned this trick!

You squeeze & roll it between your fingers until it's long & narrow, then with your opposite hand (i find it easiest coming over the top of the head than in front of the body) get hold of the top of the ear & pull it upwards & backwards as far as you can - which opens the canal.

Then gently insert the squeezed rolled plug, let go of the ear but put the tip of your forefinger on the end of the plug, to stop it working it's way out of the canal as it expands.
    Hold it there until it's fully expanded inside the ear. Once it's expanded it wont move, but that takes longer than you'd expect - try it outside of the ear to see how long - basically you have to wait until you hear the sound block out, - otherwise as soon as you move your finger it will just pop out again.

(They slide out because as they expand there is obviously less resistance to the expansion in that direction.)

I had to try it a few times but once you get the knack you'll see what i mean.

Annamaria, alktipping, vsou and 4 others like this.
  18. JemPD

About the noise cancelling phones... I tried a couple of pairs early on & found them awful - admittedly they weren't the expensive kind- thanks for that Bose trial tip @Effi

I want less sound, not the addition of another in order to change the nature of it. In fact the number of sounds/complexity of the sensory input that is the measure of how badly it will affect me - 5 people all talking softly at the same time is much worse than 1 loud sound for me.
    I said when i got them that these should be called 'noise changing' not cancelling, because all that happened was the addition of white noise which muffled the ambient sound to enable what you were listening through the phones to be heard clearer over the ambient sound. But i couldnt see how changing 'loud voices' into 'muffled voices-plus-weird-hissing' was helpful... it's still the same amount of sound just different, & in some cases while it reduces volume it increases number of sounds & therefore complexity oof input - so from my point of view, pointless.

But now i'm intrigued, perhaps i should try the bose ones?
    Do you guys think my experience was because they were cheaper less good ones? or is the masking of voices/music with 'white noise' the phenomena that you all experience as a good thing.

I have some ear defenders - like workmen on industrial construction sites use, & they are just brilliant for blocking sound, but they do grip like a vice! You can loosen them but then they dont work. I can't use them when i'm bad because they hurt then, so I'm on the look out for another solution because plugs arent enough.

Edited - to clarify 1st sentence that it wasnt the bose ones i found awful but the cheaper ones

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ariel, alktipping, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  19. Effi

Effi Established Member (Voting Rights)

@JemPD in my case, what bothers me the most are 1) loud noises and 2) a lot of different noises at the same time e.g. two conversations plus background noise, which makes my brain go haywire.

When I wear my Bose noise cancelling headphones the loud noises are more than halved in intensity (depends on the sound), and the different noises situation changes into me being able to follow one single conversation, because the other conversation is about 80-90% muffled and I hear zero background noises.

It has three different "volumes": no noise cancelling, plus two "strengths" of noise cancelling (I always use the highest strength).

I think when it comes to noise cancelling headphones, the higher the price range, the better the product. So your negative experience might have had to do with the fact you tried out a lower quality product?

JemPD, alktipping, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  20. JemPD

@Effi thanks for that, yes it's the different noises at the same time for me too, so that sounds promising, i'm going to look into those bose ones because the ones i tried were somebody's airplane ones (economy not bose!) & some that i got off amazon i think they were 'only' £30 - lol it seemed like a lot to me at the time, but looking at the price of the bose ones.... !!!

I've always been a bit wary of paying a lot more for a 'name' - eg a Gucci shirt is not better quality than a marks & spencer one imo.
    But it seems this kind of technology you get what you pay for so i may well save up & give it a go.
    :) I'm glad this thread was started

Ariel, alktipping, Squeezy and 3 others like this.