Novel characterization of endogenous transient receptor potential melastatin 3 ion channels from Gulf War Illness participants 2024 Marshall-Gradisnik

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jun 26, 2024.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2024 at 12:46 PM
    Sean, Robert 1973, Nightsong and 4 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe not landmark, but once again a curious concept, this one of acquired channelopathy, in that in many ways it fits into several contested diseases' sequelae - including ME/CFS and Gulf War.

You'd think large scale replication efforts would have already been done, or at least attempted. Maybe they have and I've simply forgotten. If not, time to get on with it?

The implications of "acquired" are what continue to fascinate me. Is there a genetic component that's triggered artificially? Is there a viral agent that's introduced and somehow persists?

Of course, cool theories are a dime a dozen in our world. They're a dime a dozen in BPS literature as well - or at least, a dime a dozen variations of a single repetitive talking point.

We need to distinguish our work from their's with science that is both unambiguous and unassailable. That's dicey when dealing with subject matter with so little substantive and trustworthy precedent.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you might find that these two are frequently put together.........

Sean, Sid, Nightsong and 4 others like this.
  4. richie

richie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Work was done in the US claiming that sarin gas exposure in genetically prone individuals was at the root of the problem. I don't know about the quality of the work or how it fits with Times study.

UTSW genetic study confirms sarin nerve gas as cause of Gulf War illness: Newsroom - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

duncan, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.