NZ: ANZMES research grants & scholarships (starting 2023)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Ravn, May 24, 2023.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2023 application round is open 31 May - 31 July
    press release: https://anzmes.org.nz/grant-and-scholarship-programme/

programme description: https://anzmes.org.nz/research-funding-programme/

Chezboo, Deanne NZ, Sean and 6 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"This year two Grants valued up to $25,000 are available, and four $5,000 Scholarships."

So that makes $70,000 per year? Not bad for a New Zealand which has around 5 million inhabitants.

3. Ravn

Not privvy to the details but pretty sure this is the result of ANZMES receiving a very significant bequest from a pwME who expressed the wish that the money be used for research. So a bittersweet announcement (if my guess is correct I knew the pwME)

Chezboo, RedFox, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether the bequest had the requirement that the research has to take place in New Zealand. In such a relatively small country, there might be few applications some years and poor research could end up getting funded.

Edited to add:
    That’s good.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    MEMarge, Hutan, Trish and 3 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks very much to this individual for remembering the ME/CFS cause in their will (I vaguely recall talk that someone had left a very significant bequest, worth in the region of maybe NZ$900,000 (??)).

I get the impression not that many people with ME/CFS leave much if anything to ME/CFS in their wills. People with ME/CFS may be relatively cash strapped when alive but could still leave behind a substantial estate e.g. their property and its belongings.

Hutan, Sean, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  6. Ravn

The ANZMES annual research grant & scholarship 2024 application period is now open; it closes 31 July 2024.

Application details at link
    https://anzmes.org.nz/research-funding-programme/

MEMarge, Dolphin, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Established Member (Voting Rights)

It would be so helpful if someone could put in an application based on doing research that documents the harms from GET/CBT & LP in the NZ context. It is the key piece of data that is missing here and until we can adequately & robustly demonstrate that not only are these treatments ineffective but harmful they will continue to be offered.
    In my son’s case the exercise programme provided by the hospital physiotherapist was technically not GET as per the PACE Trial but it was rehab type incremental HIIT exercises as if he was deconditioned. He also had sessions with psychologist and GP gave me a brochure for The Switch. No pacing was suggested.