1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NZ - Complex Chronic Illness Support - Towards Wellness course

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Hutan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While I respect any individual's experiences, I dislike how people believe that their way is the way, and thus promise a cure. :mad:

By the way, equaling chronic fatigue and adrenal fatigue and burnout and CFS/ME...!?

Edit: @Hutan, this hurt. :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Snow Leopard, Hutan, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, that's The secret. Literally.

Real professional work there. Let's make magical thinking great again.

4. rvallee

I was self-employed at the time I got sick. I worked only as much as I wanted to. 15 hours per week if I felt like it, because freelance software development pays that well when you're competent. Some weeks more, if I felt like it. I chose what I worked on. It was easy.

I freaking loved my life. I was burning the candle at neither end, did not need to.

This is just another load of horse shit.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have now watched the whole video. It's not as bad as I feared, though the stuff about burnout and type A personalities is rubbish as far as I know.

It sounds like they are actually teaching sensible pacing and helping people reorganise their lives to accept the limitations the illness places on them rather than pushing themselves to do too much and hide their symptoms and needs.

It seems a pity to me it is repeatedly described as a 'journey towards wellness' which seems dishonest - raising false hopes in both the patients and their families. I call it 'wellnessbabble'.

The patient who described her life before and after joining the support program had clearly gained a lot from it in terms of coping and adjusting her way of life. She also said her symptoms were no better, but she felt more positive and in control.

6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure whether to laugh or to cry after reading this thread.

Glad to hear there's some sense in the video (haven't watched it myself) because the website and blog are a right old misleading muddle of ignorance, patient-blaming and false promises. Probably all unintentional but that doesn't make it any less harmful.

As for all that type A personality stuff I suspect some doctors and researchers are getting a skewed picture of us as a group, and that's not all that surprising.

1) Most people in Western culture will act like a type A most of the time, not necessarily because that's their natural tendency but because they're forced to by job and societal expectations. Ironically it requires significant resources to be able to live a type B lifestyle. So when patients turn up at the doctor and describe their (pre-illness) lifestyle they'll all sound like a type A, whether they are or not.

2) Even those of us B types able to live a relaxed B type life, when we turn up at the doctor we'll list all the things we could do before that we now no longer can do, making it sound – wrongly - like we actually did do all of those things all of the time, when really we did them only rarely. But we list them anyway to make a before-after comparison of our ability (not our actual activity). Oh, and also because we've been called lazy once too often. And voila, in the eyes of the doctor we look like yet another type A, preconception confirmed, again.

As an aside, does this personality stuff mean us B types are doubly disbelieved? Not only do we have an illness some say doesn't exist, we also have a personality type that means we shouldn't get this illness that doesn't exist? :confused:

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Here's an account from 2017 of the two field officers having a meeting with Work Income New Zealand. They were promoting their Towards Wellness course.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.54.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.55.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.55.26 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Does it not occur to these people that, regardless of your personality type, anyone who has worked hard to establish a career, is paying a mortgage, has dependants and both personal and professional obligations and then becomes sick with an illness where very few are told to just stop and rest, patients will be striving and pushing themselves. Not because they are Type A perfectionists but because they have no bl@@dy choice.

9. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No - it definitely doesn’t occur to them. Evangelical zeal always really disturbs me.

10. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds very much like you have your own Live Landmark in the making... :-( It's so similar it's scary, do they have a script they follow...?

I don't know how, but strongly suggest to try and adress the situation somehow. She seems to already be working on positioning herself towards government, doctors etc. Easy "solutions" to complex problems are easy to sell :-/

11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First reaction: :wtf::banghead::mad::cry::sick::arghh::bawling:
    Second thought: If they managed to get Work & Income off some patients' backs they may actually have done some good after all.

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i.e. unfounded psychobabble, very disappointing.

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

According to this website, the nutritional coach of the Towards Wellness programme is Justine Laidlaw.

Her website is here. The Natural Bird.

Her qualifications are an internet course from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition:
    Here's some of her thoughts about cancer

(screenshots)
    Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 9.28.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 9.28.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 9.34.58 PM.png

Here's a bit of another Facebook post:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 9.39.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 9.39.26 PM.png

14. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m speechless...

15. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the Christmas season so I will refrain from saying something UNFORGIVABLE about the " healed" zealot brigade ( HZB)

17. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Go to hell, Justine, you and your pseudo hypocritical compassion, that makes people feel guilty when they are yet suffering so much.
    Namaste my ass.
    Sorry but people like her drives me mad.

18. rvallee

Hear that cancer patients? It's your fault for being sick. And not "healing" yourselves. Now you are cancer.

What nice people, bringing medicine back to its roots of, uh, killing people with stupid unscientific ideas. Because dry mathematical science may work, but it's so boring since you can't use healing hover hands and, horse piss, maybe?

Pseudoscience is the same everywhere. No matter who does it. No matter who says it, it always looks the same.

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always wonder about the degree of ignorance and lack of wisdom in those people that must be present. They seem to live in their small bubble, simply not seeing all the suffering around the world. Objectively, a person that can feel must get sad, maybe even angry and desperate, if he/she looks at it all.

There are unforgivable actions. I will not bring examples.
    There are situations where being angry is the right thing to do.
    The world gives a multitude of reasons for bitterness. It's normal.

This always reminds me of Erich Fromm, the normal are the sick ones, the "sick" ones are the healthy.

In her view, it seems, the one who can't forgive gets cancer, not the one who caused the suffering - a world upside down. Isn't it thought the perpetrator should get punished, or that the perpetrator must compensate?

I cannot choose someone as a "helper" who doesn't know the simplest things of life. Somehow I imagine that a person who is supposed to help with life troubles (that are supposed to lead to sickness) should have a certain degree of wisdom or at least experience and knowledge, including knowledge about who they are.

Hutan, Trish, Sean and 4 others like this.
  20. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A member of my family was on the receiving end of this type of crap many, many decades ago.

It involved thinking positively, avoiding certain foods ..... and coming off medication for a serious and debilitating medical condition. The argument being a) as a demonstration of commitment and faith the cure would work :banghead: and b) the medication was very toxic (very true, but the meds were actually a much lesser evil than not treating the condition).

Funnily, enough the "practitioner" was nowhere to be seen when this person had to be physically carried to the bathroom because they were too sick to even stand. They didn't hear this person sobbing in pain, because even being touched hurt, let alone being carried . Of course there was no mention during treatment that bed pans etc might prove necessary as the person's condition deteriorated drastically. Quickly, too.

There simply is not a corner of hell hot enough for someone who will put another living soul through that.

Edited - spelling - clarity

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018