1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd leg symptom

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by TiredSam, Mar 29, 2021.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Here's a weird thing. In fact so weird I don't even know what to call this thread or what to google. I don't think it's an ME thing, just posting this on the offchance that anyone has a clue.

I've been having a strange sensation on the outside of my right shin occasionally for months, a feeling I can only describe as like walking through cobwebs. This morning I finally found out what was causing it.

There's a point on the outside of my right thigh (where my holster would be if I was a cowboy), and if I brush my hand over it, I feel the cobweb sensation on the outside of my right shin. It is as if my thigh is a ventriloquist - I touch one part of my body, and feel it on another part.

So for months I've been getting up in the morning, walking to the bathroom, felt something brushing against my right shin, looked down, and seen nothing. Today I discovered it's when my underpants are heading southward, they brush over the point on my right thigh, which makes my right shin feel like something's just brushed against it. I immediately tested it by pulling my underpants up and down 100 times, and it worked every time. Then I realised it probably works without the underpants, so just touched the area on my thigh, and felt it on my shin. The two areas are very specific and seem completely connected. It works every time. When I move my hand up my thigh, the feeling moves up my shin. So I can rub my hand up and down my thigh, and feel it running up and down my shin.

My curiosity piqued, on further investigation I have discovered that when I brush my hand over the base of my spine, it tickles the back of my left knee.

Ok I've described it flippantly, but this is a real thing. Anyone know what's going on? More specifically, does anyone know how I can make money with this?

@Jonathan Edwards, dare I trouble you with such a trifle?

Graham, Simbindi, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dysesthesia?

I get that sensation when I spend too much money. It's like my wallet is trying to tell me something.

Graham, Simbindi, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

Thanks, it's not painful, more like tickling or pins and needles. And it's not spontaneous (I originally thought it was), but directly caused by touching another part of my body, which is the most perplexing feature, like my wiring has got mixed up.

You'll see from my avatar that underpants feature prominently in my wardrobe, so I need to be able to pull them up and down without distraction.

Graham, Simbindi, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. Mij

You've been in that same position for how many years now?

It seems that you're not alone:
    upload_2021-3-29_9-23-45.png

Graham, Simbindi, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can spot the problem, without paying any attention to what the 'patient' says.

Years of expensive medical education, followed by many years of experience in dealing with patients, suggest that people are supposed to have an even number of legs, not an odd leg.

You need a requisition form for another leg is all.

(The touching one place and getting a sensation, normally an annoying one, somewhere else, is known to me, and presumably the Chinese, or at least some of them. Isn't that what acupuncture etc are all about?)

Graham, Simbindi, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

I think you'll find that the average person has 1.9998 legs.
    Dammit. Am I going to have to start believing in acupuncture or reflexology? That's all I need, to become living proof of a belief system I've never had any time for. Although, hang on ...
    I think you might have just answered one of my questions.

Hutan, Simbindi, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It ought to be a nerve irritation. Either lateral femoral or sural cutaneous branch. If the nerve is constricted higher up maybe by some fibrous tissue then you will feel the odd sensation further down.

sorry spellchecked now

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Milo, Hutan, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  8. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My boyfriend currently has the same odd feeling on his shin, but only when sitting/standing in certain positions. Stretching the piriformis muscle and sitting/lying on a tennisball has helped.
    (The sciatic nerve runs through the m. piriformis, so if the muscle is too tense it can compress the nerve. The sciatic nerve divides into the n. tibialis and n. fibularis, so the pain/dysesthesia may go all the way down to the foot.)

The tennisball-treatment is decribed here (sorry, German source only): https://www.liebscher-bracht.com/schmerzlexikon/piriformis-syndrom/

Milo, Hutan, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll just wait for it to go away again. Most things do if you wait long enough, one way or another.

Milo, Invisible Woman, Trish and 2 others like this.
  10. Mij

It could be a transient symptom. I've had many odd symptoms over the years that went away on their own.

TiredSam, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  11. TiredSam

It went away.

Lisa108, JemPD, Trish and 5 others like this.
  12. Mij

Superman was given a highly diluted dose of kryptonite, thus curing his serious kryptonite allergy and allowing him to star in yet another amazing adventure of Superman.

TiredSam, Lisa108, JemPD and 2 others like this.