1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

One Day Conference on clinical aspects of Functional Symptom Disorders: 11 September 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Optimising engagement and outcomes for patients with Functional/Medically Unexplained Symptoms

This conference will be delivered on Zoom.

This event has been approved by The British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/child-health/...ents-functionalmedically-unexplained-symptoms

MSEsperanza, Woolie, Simone and 6 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note that the title implies that ‘functional‘ and ‘medically unexplained‘ are in some way equivalent or interchangeable.

How many unevidenced assumptions are subsumed in this title? (Prizes for the correct answer to the nearest hundred)

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wording error / typo

Should read "Updates from the current eminence base"

Learn the technique of "paltering and how to specifically apply it in clinical practice."* How to do it well so the patient has no idea.

What is paltering?

See here: https://psychcentral.com/news/2016/12/30/when-is-the-truth-a-lie/114487.html

Paltering was honed and refined in the business world, picked up by politicians and now artfully crafted into a tool for BPS clinicians.

5. Sly Saint

as it is highly likely that this will soon include long-covid patients, I wonder what Prof Paul Garner would make of it?

6. NelliePledge

Good point @Sly Saint i think he’s probably aware of the psychosomatic crowd I doubt he realises their training includes ‘paltering’

7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wow, it's the entire crew!!

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Simone and 9 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone at my old institution is reading, I am disappointed.
    This meeting is organised by UCL, or at least the Institute of Child Health Part and the department of psychiatry part of that. (Prof Heyman, whom I have never heard of).

This is the 2nd London International One Day Conference on clinical aspects of Functional Symptom Disorders- following the success of our 1st conference in 2018. In 2020 we want to focus especially on aspects of communication and engagement which contribute to successful outcomes, and on the current evidence-base for effective intervention.

Clearly the organisers either know something nobody else does or they are just making things up as usual.

When I was practicing we did not have marketing meetings like this designed to help people sell their services. We didn't;t even have meetings 'telling people what to do'. We had meetings where the knowledge base was presented and delegates were expected to use that in a rational way. There is something very distasteful about this sort of selling and telling approach.

I am surprised that Ross-Morris has not been given a slot. She is good at selling and telling.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

she could discuss her and Chalder's bogus claims that online CBT is "effective" for treating IBS hen their own data show that it is not. And the stock options and other financial interests she has in the company marketing this product with fraudulent claims of success. As I've said, a big bunch of academic grifters.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course I meant Moss-Morris. But you know that. I was thinking of her video on Body Psychotherapy.
    I wonder if they are worried that knowing 'what to say' and 'what not to say' we can now make them all redundant and have a robot that says:

"Really? Oh how awful!'
    'You poor soul'
    "You should say NO to that.'
    and so on.

11. NelliePledge

12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they have stock options in that kind of clinic I doubt they'd care, seeing redundancy as a reward.

13. Sly Saint

Re Moss-Morris
    she is also editor of a journal:
    Health Psychology Review @healthpsychrev
    Health Psychology Review - An Official Journal of the European Health Psychology Society
    @EHPS_society
    -@ronamossmorris and @suzannecarrie, Editors

https://twitter.com/healthpsychrev?lang=en

ladycatlover, alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She is the leading expert in the new movement for maximising your health while having MS. With our experience I see it as a short step to people with MS being told it is their lifestyle which is making them worse not their disease, but they feel that it is a way to get control, as well as a "cure" for a lot of their ill health.

15. Sly Saint

see
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/how-a...diated-moderation-analysis-tc-rmm-2020.13786/

ladycatlover and Mithriel like this.
  16. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I see Mark Edwards has officially joined these ranks.

Remember when we thought he might be the real deal? I think there's a lesson in that for all of us - keep that BS detector on high alert at all times.

17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Interesting name here for Aussies on the forum:

Sean and Trish like this.