1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

One-sided weakness

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by JaimeS, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As you know I'm interested in that topic. :)
    And I have one-sided "weakness", too, in the right leg. When I've done too much, I limp; a bit like @BeautifulDay explains with her child.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ahh, the magic wave. :rolleyes:

This happened to me a couple of times, several years apart. I have also tripped on stairs a couple of times. Fortunately, I was going up the stairs both times, so fell forward. I quickly learned to be very careful on stairs.

3. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I have weakness or paralysis it’s symmetrical. It can be localised, but it would be both legs or both arms.

Things people mentioned to me though included hemiplegic migraine. That doesn’t fit my experience but could it be relevant for you @JaimeS ?

4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably not -- the other symptoms of hemiplegic migraine don't seem to match up. Thank you, though!

5. Jenny TipsforME

I don’t think this explains your one sided weakness but as an aside re dopamine, trawling through my whole genome I’m homozygous for a pathogenic mutation of this which seems like it’s worth pwme being aware of as it could perhaps be misdiagnosed as a EDS/POTS (or NMH)/ME combo:

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/dopamine-beta-hydroxylase-deficiency#

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Hutan, Tilney, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  6. Jenny TipsforME

From Wikipedia

ScottTriGuy and Little Bluestem like this.
  7. JaimeS

A very clever endocrinologist tested me for this mutation straightaway, VERY early in my diagnostic path. I was seriously impressed.

[Edit: wait, that was 11-B-hydroxylase, not dopamine beta hydroxylase...

Huh. Maybe I should get tested for that....]

8. Inara

Please keep us updated.

Today again, right leg "weakness", with lots of concentration I could change from dragging it to limping for some moments, then back to dragging. Just walking simply wasn't doable. Really a sh*** feeling.

9. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds more like MS to me than ME. Definitely not normal. And in my mind, not typical of ME

JaimeS, ScottTriGuy and Inara like this.
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that it is not normal and not typical of ME (if there is such a thing as typical ME). Do you have a doctor you can see? It might be a good idea.

11. Inara

Thanks @Milo and @Little Bluestem, MS was ruled out. It only happens when I've overdone it, and it goes away with rest. I don't think that's MS'ish? Also, EMGs and ENGs were normal (besides "chronic neurogenic remodeling", but I don't think that's relevant). However, chance wills it that I'll have a "muscle and nerve MRI" in 2 weeks, that should clarify it.
    The same leg was temporarily paralyzed, most likely due to oxygen stuff because it resolved with better oxygen availability (and doesn't occurr with oxygen inhalation in the first place). That's also not like MS, I'd say.

My impression was others experience such "temporary weaknesses" due to exhaustion (or whatever), too? It could also be a neuropathy thing?

12. Milo

I am no expert @Inara but i hope you get this investigated further and that you get answers. Best wishes!

13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get right sided weakness with a numb achey pain (feels a lot like a local anaesthetic (eg dental) as it wears off) I began a few months after ME onset in my face and scalp. I also experience it in my arm and leg, which can affect my gait if I'm walking too much. My foot has a tendency turn in and drag.

This comes on for a variable period, and goes away again for a variable period, which can be for a couple of years.

I mention it because it sounds a bit similar to what others have described in this thread, but I don't know if it's the same thing. About 6 or 7 years ago when it was particularly bad, I saw my GP about it. He wanted to rule out MS and refered to a neurologist. MRI and nerve conductivity testing were normal, so no sign of MS or other neuro-degenerative disease. I was told it could perhaps be the 'CFS' (which is my diagnosis) and that was that.

I don't know what's happening, but
    @Inara I also think you should get it checked out.

14. JaimeS

Yes, same... Terry's Naturally really helped me with this symptom, personally (a B vitamin blend). This feels different.

ladycatlover and Little Bluestem like this.
  15. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS Yes yours does sound different.
    I'm going to look that up, thanks.

Little Bluestem, Amw66 and JaimeS like this.
  16. JaimeS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1474/#dbh.Differential_Diagnosis

This is a really good resource on that -- I've linked to the differential diagnosis section because we're looking at things that might be confused for DBH deficiency. Interesting read.

Jenny TipsforME and Inara like this.
  17. JaimeS

Whelp, I fell. Don't read the rest of this if you're squeamish (I'm ok).

Tripped and put my hand out to break my fall -- nail actually bent back on itself. Had to bite the bullet and snap it back into place. Yeowch! Typing mostly with the left hand and pointer finger of the right. Seems I messed up the whole hand a little -- right wrist keeps cracking. I'll get a better idea of how bad it all is tomorrow but nothing is broken.

Direct consequences of clinical dismissal. I am very steady on my feet: the last time I had an uncontrolled fall was in undergrad on ice. Yep you read that right: nearly 20 years ago. Very irritated and in some pain.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Alvin and 4 others like this.
  18. Milo

So very sorry @JaimeS. Are you ok otherwise? Did you hurt your head? :( Go get an x-ray if it keeps on hurting. You never know. Lots of bones in the hand.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  19. Inara

Ahhh, that sounds terrible! :arghh: Ouch.
    Really, let you check. If I fall, even "lightly", I always get some surprises. Since I'm sick any accidence is "meaningful", it really sucks. Best wishes.

20. JaimeS

I banged my foot as well but it doesn't seem to have taken damage. :( Didn't bang anything else, thanks for asking.