Pacing - what do you do/how would you describe it?

Discussion in 'Monitoring and pacing' started by Andy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm reviving this thread because I've been reflecting on how compliance with pacing advice can be assessed, and what stops us being able to pace effectively. Rather than starting yet another pacing thread, I think the comments on this thread are relevant.

So I'm adding a different slant to the thread by asking 3 questions:

What prevents you pacing?

What helps you most with pacing?

What change would enable you to pace more effectively?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And my answers:

What prevents you pacing?
    Physically - self care and caring responsibilities
    Cognitively - boredom - I'm not good at completely resting

What helps you most with pacing?
    Step and heart rate monitoring
    Using ready meals rather than trying to cook from scratch

What change would enable you to pace more effectively?
    Help with showering, cooking, household management, but the downsides at the moment outweigh sorting this help, due to ongoing Covid shielding and past experience of interaction with multiple carers being itself exhausting.

bobbler, Peter Trewhitt, Mij and 4 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What prevents me from pacing are my desires and needs, my urge to LIVE!

What helps me most with pacing is remembering how much I hate the payback of not doing so, how I then feel sick, how it puts my life on hold.

What change would enable me to pace more effectively? - Learning evermore from point 2... I never seem to learn… (and of course, having others help me with my needs if possible)

Peter Trewhitt, Mij and Trish like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Getting it into my head *permanently* that pacing works and going over my energy boundary isn't ever going to change.

I'm still in PEM 5 days later after getting up and down on my chair (10 times) to take down my sheers and blinds for cleaning and putting them back up again hoping :emoji_fingers_crossed: I'll skip PEM this time around :emoji_rolling_eyes: just because I want to look at nice clean wall hangings.

Hoopoe, Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reaching up and lifting heavy things above head is worst thing you can do if you have orthostatic intolerance ie standing especially standing still gives you PEM. Hope it resolves soon.

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Mij like this.
  6. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What stops me pacing well
    Unexpected energy demand later in day, plus needing to do more because carers so shorthanded, nearing retirement and many going off sick trying to fit in all the calls to make up
    Also need to listen to talking book to rest as mind too busy to rest

What helps me pace
    Awareness of payback

what would help
    Having carers at regular times not in such a rush fitting in extra calls but no new younger ones coming forward.

Peter Trewhitt, Trish, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A good mindset for good energy management is to do things for fun and personal satisfaction. That avoids falling into the trap of becoming ambitious and setting goals to do and achieve more.

Too much fun can also lead to overexertion.

If the focus is on "how am I feeling while doing this, does it still feel good" it helps pay attention to current energy levels and whether they are getting low.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    Forestvon, bobbler, shak8 and 2 others like this.