1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent Suffering:The Serious Consequences of Sexual Violence against Women and Girls, Their Search for Inner Healing.., 2021, Sigurdardottir et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Persistent Suffering: The Serious Consequences of Sexual Violence against Women and Girls, Their Search for Inner Healing and the Significance of the #MeToo Movement

This paper uses the method of theory synthesis, primarily from our own previous studies and psychoneuroimmunology research, with the aim of exploring and better understanding the consequences of sexual violence for women and their search for inner healing. The impact of the #MeToo movement is also examined. The main finding is that sexual violence causes persistent suffering for women and girls. In childhood and adolescence, the main consequences include a feeling of unbearable secrecy, threat and humiliation; disconnection of body and soul; great fear and constant insecurity; damaged self-image, self-accusation and guilt; experiencing being compelled to take full responsibility for the crime; as well as various physical and mental health problems, e.g., suicidal thoughts. In adulthood, the consequences are also multifaceted and varied, including vaginal problems, recurrent urinary tract infections, widespread and chronic pain, sleeping problems, chronic back problems, and fibromyalgia, eating disorders, social anxiety, severe depression, and chronic fatigue. In conclusion, sexual violence has these extremely negative and long-term consequences because of the interconnectedness of body, mind, and soul. The seriousness of the consequences makes a trauma-informed approach to services essential to support the healing and improved health and well-being of survivors.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/4/1849/htm

Alis and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

OK then....

3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So if we cure the body the mind and soul will follow? Or is that not what they are proposing?

*edit*: I don't mean to make light of something that can ultimately have devastating consequences for someone's whole wellbeing so my comment is in poor taste I guess. But the body-mind duality or now that the soul is actually incorporated is it triality only always seems to go one way where it comes to curing afflictions.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

" Body keeps the score " stuff .

alktipping, Invisible Woman and Alis like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm curious - how is this diagnosed?

Edit : I have no objection at all to anyone spending time investigating the long-term consequences of sexual violence - physical and mental. But why must it be turned into something mystical?

Hutan, alktipping, spinoza577 and 5 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Faith?

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Marketing niche.

The influence of established religions on communities and daily lives are probably weaker than ever so they've spotted a gap in the market.

Andy, alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In what way is that different from Scientology where symptoms of illness are caused by the ghosts of aliens past who died in a giant volcano and were sent to Earth to torment the bodies of human beings?

(True story, by the way, this is what Scientology is for the most part). And I'm not asking rhetorically: how exactly is it different? Past emotions, past alien ghosts. Deus ex machina.

Mithriel, alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  9. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes.
    in conclusion. sexual violence has these extremely negative and long term consequences because of the interconnectedness of mind ,body and soul.

I'm a sexual abuse/violence survivor and that sentence is like :banghead:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Hutan, Mithriel, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dissociation of mind from body: traumatic dissociation.

My experience: physical feeling that my soul is leaving the body, post-rape.

Yes, this isn't a science paper and there are some outre claims, but there is science behind the concept of damage, to be sure.

spinoza577 and Alis like this.
  11. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am a bit speechless, though not about the truth that us spoken out in this sentence.

What btw seems often to be overlooked are the possibilities of abuse
    • of boys (and even men)
    • by women (in the proper sense of course only in children), though more difficult to conduct (I guess)
    • of babies (genuinely probably only by women, I guess)
    All together, I daresay, this is a wide (and long) spread problem that indicates that our societies are not really worth to exist, in my opinion.

This may be seen as confirmed by such loose abstracts like this one here. There is nothing new to a thinking soul, aside from nonsense - in the end, reading such nonsense may even help, who knows -