Physical activity before and after exercise in women with chronic fatigue syndrome, 1998, Sisto et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Aug 17, 2024.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    We measured physical activity after strenuous exercise in 20 women with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), compared to 20 sedentary healthy volunteers who exercised no more than once per week.

Activity was measured for 2 weeks using a portable waist-worn vertical accelerometer. After the first week of activity monitoring, all participants returned for a maximal treadmill test, followed by continued activity monitoring for the second week. Five activity measures were derived from the data: (i) average activity; (ii) total activity; (iii) duration of waking day; (iv) duration; and (v) number of daily rests.

A repeated measures ANCOVA was used to determine post-treadmill group differences accounting for pre-treadmill differences. There was a significant reduction in overall average activity after the treadmill test, with the greatest decrease on days 12 through 14. This reduction was accompanied by a significant increase in the duration of the waking day and number of daily rests.

Thus, marked exertion does produce changes in activity, but later than self-report would suggest, and are apparently not so severe that CFS patients cannot compensate.

Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9797929/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2024
    Sean, Hutan, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

An old study from 1998 by the research team of Benjamin Natelson. They measured activity levels before and after an exercise test.

The exercise test had remarkably little effect on activity levels. There appears to be no anticipation or reduction of activity before the test and activity levels remained relatively constant afterwards. Interestingly there was a reduction in activity and more rest but only 5 days after the exercise test.

RedFox, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Use of technology
    Impressive to be using an activity monitor as far back as in the 1990s, when there are researchers telling us that even now there is no suitable technology to produce useful objective outcomes. @sarahtyson

That quote may be useful sometime e.g. when commenting on the PACE trial suggesting that activity monitoring was too onerous, or when responding to current day researchers who suggest activity monitoring is not feasible in trials.

Problems in activity monitoring
    However, I think the length of monitoring is way too short to draw useful conclusions - undoubtedly there will have been a Hawthorn effect going on here. I expect there were a range of thought patterns affecting activity levels. The drop off in activity in the last couple of days may have been a common reaction to activity levels sustained at a level over the fortnight higher than normal.

I think we need people to understand the impact of accumulated activity better. There's a lot of focus on one off exercise events, but I think adrenalin or something can get us through those sometimes, especially if they are quite a brief burst of activity.

Participant selection
    There are possible issues with the characterisation of the sample:
    They were screened (physical examination and blood work) to rule out other causes for the fatigue.
    The diagnostic criteria is the CDC 1988 Holmes criteria

Michelle, bobbler, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  4. Hutan

The bolding in the last quote shows that people did understand the need for objective measures 25 years ago.

bobbler, Mij, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. Hutan

They are noting that the average activity decreased in the second half of the post-exercise week for the CFS participants. But, that the CFS participants were active for more hours, resulting in similar total daytime activity to that in the first week. And then they conclude that "the delayed effects of strenuous exercise on activity are not dangerous for the patient".

That of course is a ridiculous conclusion.
    This so called increase in the mean length of the day was very small, with enormous variability, and with the mean CFS day substantially shorter than the healthy day throughout.

How they can conclude from one exercise exposure that the delayed effects of strenuous activity are not dangerous, I do not know. Again, they are missing the important issue of cumulative effects, and the sustainability of the activity levels in these two weeks.

Here's the chart of total daily activity.
    There's a great deal of variation, and there is a comment that the CFS data has much more daily variation than the healthy data - the authors mention a rollercoaster pattern. CFS daily activity levels are, on average, considerably lower than those of the sedentary healthy controls. There is therefore likely to be much less discretionary activity going on prior to the exercise event, and so, after the exercise event they may try to essentially "soldier on" with activities of daily living and essential obligations such as family care and work.

I've watched my son attempt to go back to full-time school, and it's a slow motion crash - it took a few weeks for activity levels to start to drop off, with the decline continuing over months.

6. Hutan

The authors recognise that the monitoring period was too short.

This study was not a terrible start to the use of activity monitoring to better understand ME/CFS. It was a start. What is terrible is that, 25 years later, we really don't have much more of an understanding about what is going on. And we have researchers actively rejecting the use of objective outcomes in studies.

(Sorry, I hope my posts here make some sense. Thinking is hard work at the moment.)

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cannot see how you are going to recruit people with significant PEM from an advertisement for people with fatigue. When I had Long Covid mildly there is no way I would have volunteered for a study like this. Anyone I can think of with significant ME/CFS I would expect to keep well clear of this sort of study.

And performance will have been modified by all sorts of expectations on the subjects' parts.

It is interesting that researchers actually tried this sort of documentation of PEM thirty years ago but I don't see any interpretable data coming out of one off maximal exertion tests.

8. ME/CFS Skeptic

Something similar was found in this study that used graded activity with activity meters. Patients were able to increase their activity levels but only for a couple of days. After 4–10 day, their activity level dropped indicating they were unable to keep up this level.
    Time course of exercise induced alterations in daily activity in chronic fatigue syndrome - PMC (nih.gov)

bobbler, RedFox, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  9. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does a vertical accelerometer measure? Would it record the difference between, say, resting in a chair with your feet up while reading/working/doing something manual (eg knitting) and resting in bed with the curtains closed doing absolutely nothing?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    bobbler, RedFox and Hutan like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

Sean and RedFox like this.
  11. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is interesting but it just leaves me with a lot of questions, some of which might be answered if I could see more of the article.

I get the impression the actometer axis isn't 'number of steps in a day' [on basis of it being eg 40], so would like to know what is actually in it. I'm guessing the test itself isn't included here, but the steps to get there would be. And whilst maybe some HCs and maybe some CFS might have had to do other things on the same day it might have taken up most of the day and it is one where both might have similar 'committments'.

So it is perhaps interesting to use this as an anchor and note that is a 'low activity' day for those who are HCs vs CFS it is consistent with their max days. All I can tell from sure really from this is that the CFS group might equal but don't really do 'more' than the level on that test day, where the control is the same amount as the test day leading up then it varies above as well as below this level.

As well of course I have questions about knowing more about the CFS participants - looking at the dip at day 2, vs the little dip straight after for the HCs I suspect maybe some did have PEM but who knows if they all did. And how severe were they? what other committments did they have?

And of course the slight issue is rolling 20 people's data together when onset of PEM could be 12-48hrs mightn't be such an issue if you were looking at people with more severe ME/CFS who all had PEM that lasted quite a long time, but if you've a mixed bag of more mild, maybe some 'chronic fatigue' instead of ME/CFS and add in differing commitments..

Anyway I suspect people don't realise that they really need to be profiling and getting a lot more information about their ME/CFS participants with these things, whether they are controlling them or not. Because of floor and ceiling effects.

In effect we are 'tethered' around what we have to do to manage. Not our 'baseline' but the compromise we have with a world that often doesn't allow us what we need.

Someone who is more ill might not even do much on a well day and then their PEM might involve needing to wee a lot. Someone who isn't severe might have committments they can't avoid even when they are in PEM like caring responsibilities, having a medical appointment, work, so the most they can dip has to be 'planned'.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    Sean and Hutan like this.
  12. Hutan

Which again goes to the problem of 'is that exercise test enough to cause PEM or general deterioration, which would be the reasons why activity would reduce?'.

The people with (ME)/CFS who volunteer for these studies are not put off by the prospect of 8 minutes or so of cycling, because they know that they can probably accommodate that within their usual energy envelope (for want of a better term). Perhaps the usual housework and meal preparation doesn't get done. If you look at these studies, the day of the exercise test is not a great spike of exertion (however that is measured).

I think these studies are asking the wrong question.

13. bobbler

I agree with @Hutan noting their son returning to school eventually and slowly collapsing, having tried to do so over a space of time. And note that it is interesting the top article talks about 12-14 days being the actual point they noted a reduction.

I think this serves more as a warning for methodology focused only on actimeter, rather than all the blurb put around these 'findings'. Because like other ill people we can only reduce our activity to the minimum we have to do. Until it catches up with us and permanently reduces our threshold or enforces a 'world on hold' crash. And I guess even child-caring has to drop, it becomes an utter can't and a whole new struggle of life. But these measures call themselves longitudinal and have no idea. The harms claims is ridiculous

Sean likes this.
  14. bobbler

Does the day of the exercise test actually include the test?

I assumed it included walking to and from, and agree that you've probably taken the day off work or it is a weekend where they might have been doing something similar going by the graph.

I agree on the moving other tasks, and we've an issue - which might now be better accomodated for with the latest tech - of all the other tasks like showering that wouldn't show on an actimeter that I consider probably are in many pwme more the hallmarks of how someone is feeling than just pure footsteps. How much you have to recline/many hours you are having to lie down is another one - if you are well enough you can make food in PEM then the walk to the kitchen is the same (or maybe more if you are coming from the bedroom).

This doesn't really show for example if any of them (back in those days) might have in a normal week been going to the gym or had a few days a week at work that had to be reined back on to keep things only to essential. Because it isn't comparing it with any other weeks. And even those who might know they would be affected could have taken the week off work to do this and fill in all the forms.

As there is a floor effect (everyone will go to the loo and that will involve steps, they might have to answer the door or get food etc), we've no sense at all of what I assume is the real issue of interest which is whether CFS 'dipped more' in what they did vs HCs. Because we don't have the standard week comparator.

To me this doesn't feel like it was really an open-minded test, but maybe I'm being harsh given how knowledge has moved on with time, but one that was only really open to 'ruling out' unless there was some way a dramatic difference could be shown

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    Hutan and Sean like this.