Physics Girl fundraiser for Open Medicine Foundation on July 6

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Dolphin, Jun 30, 2024.

Tags:
  1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely. But if I recall correctly the turn around for the OMF was somewhere around roughly one publication is produced per 2 million in funding, of course the OMF also do far far more than just publish results but I do hope that this attention the stream is receiving can be used for more than just the one off funding boost, albeit that of course already being a huge and massive success.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Binkie4, Sid, Yann04 and 8 others like this.
  2. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...and post was removed from r/videos by the subreddit's moderators. No reason given as far as I can tell.

Edit: Back up! I messaged the moderators to ask about it, and they said: "troll reports - reapproved sorry!"

alktipping, rainy, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  3. forestglip

That's it for the stream. Near the end, Kyle said there's a possibility for another fundraiser in the future. He said he has other organizations and researchers in mind, and some researchers have reached out to them to say they'd be interested in doing an interview. Over $109,000 right now, but the link to donate will stay open for some time.

Binkie4, alktipping, rainy and 12 others like this.
  4. forestglip

$121,983

https://twitter.com/user/status/1809756587847786829

Open Medicine Foundation Canada: "In the coming weeks, we'll be sharing how your amazing support will be put into action. Stay tuned to see how we leverage this incredible day of giving to accelerate our research efforts."

RedFox, Binkie4, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I would think they might get some mileage with reporters on covering the story of the fundraising in traditional media. Unusual livestream plus amount raised in 24 hours??

horton6, RedFox, Binkie4 and 12 others like this.
  6. forestglip

Some people are trying to get the attention of news stations in her area:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1809668908149789120

Binkie4, alktipping, rvallee and 13 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's a brilliant idea for a fundraiser and Physics Girl's partner looks to be smart and very dedicated. Unfortunately though he was saying quite a bit of stuff that is speculative at best - it's autoimmune, blood was injected into mice and it made them have Long Covid - in the short bit I listened to. It's such a mess of misinformation out there, thousands more will have picked up ideas that don't have much evidence to support them, at least yet.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Grigor, alktipping, Mij and 10 others like this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1809756583322132855

We are overflowing with gratitude following the incredible live-stream event hosted by Dianna Cowern (Physics Girl) and her team. What started as a $10,000 goal turned into a mind-blowing $121,983 fundraiser, thanks to your incredible support! #MECFS #LongCOVID (1/4)

Binkie4, alktipping, Comet and 13 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to everybody who participated and donated. :thumbup::hug:

Though the big win here might well be the public exposure. :geek:

alktipping, rvallee, Sid and 16 others like this.
  10. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. David Kaufman is her doctor. I listened to the pre-recorded interview with him and found it very disturbing.

Hutan, alktipping, Ron and 8 others like this.
  11. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RaisIng large sums and showing the reality of very severe ME and the unacceptability of abandoning these sufferers , as They did with ME, to hoping they will be “A lucky One” and just over time improve - Hugely helpful afaic. I only saW the putrino interview , which I hope become available with a transcript on its own as a resource and buffer for the severely affected. The severe are often under incessant pressure to rehabilitate and not “just lie there Doing nothing” “shutting themselves off from the world“ etc, & it was very supportive and affirming And about management on their level.

bobbler, mango, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Laurie P - I missed the Kaufman interview. Can I ask why/what was disturbing from this?

Hutan, Binkie4, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  13. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only caught a few minutes reading captions but he glossed through a lot of stuff saying it was part of the mechanisms of ME a lot of which is unproven: MCAS, SIBO, Leaky Gut etc.

Hutan, Binkie4, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  14. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Laurie P

In addition to MCAS, SIBO and Leaky Gut, he also talked about Inflammation, Autoimmunity, hEDS, CCI and POTS. Regarding POTS, what I thought I heard him say (I can't double check because it's not on YouTube now) is that all Long COVID patients (probably in reference to the patients that he has seen) have POTS. He wasn't interested in the ME/CFS label; for him that was just about ticking boxes. He rattled off some of those boxes but didn’t get them right. He is interested in these other conditions and how they all interact and that that is what needs to be treated for people to feel better. He thought POTS and SIBO were treatable and MCAS was complicated.

Edited to add a section from the transcript:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    Hutan, Binkie4, Sean and 7 others like this.
  16. forestglip

It's not on her channel page, but the video is still accessible by link or by searching Youtube for "physics girl live". Interview starts at 1:50:17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HWt9g4L0k

Hutan, alktipping, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  17. Laurie P

Copied from the YouTube transcript. I can't listen again to correct the transcript.
    Thread:
    Oxaloacetate Treatment For Mental And Physical Fatigue In (ME/CFS) and Long-COVID fatigue patients, 2022, Cash and Kaufman https://www.s4me.info/threads/oxalo...fatigue-patients-2022-cash-and-kaufman.28316/
    Another thread:
    Oxaloacetate
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/oxaloacetate.22058/

bobbler, Nightsong, Trish and 6 others like this.
  18. forestglip

Email from OMF:

"We are overflowing with gratitude and hope following the incredible live-streaming event hosted by Dianna Cowern (Physics Girl) and her outstanding team. Your engagement and generosity have shattered our expectations. What started as a goal to raise $10,000 turned into a mind-blowing $121,983 fundraiser and still growing!

A Phenomenal Team Effort
    Dianna Cowern and her exceptional team, including Kyle, Ian, Simone, Levi, Vanessa, Derek, and the entire crew, delivered an incredibly powerful and insightful event. Their dedication to shining a light on ME/CFS and Long COVID is remarkable. Through their efforts, they've created a ripple effect of understanding and hope, bringing much-needed attention to these complex conditions.

A Landmark Event for Awareness
    This livestream was not just about fundraising. It was a pivotal moment in raising awareness for ME/CFS and Long COVID. The event reached hundreds of thousands of viewers, many of whom may have been learning about these diseases for the first time. By bringing these often misunderstood and overlooked diseases into the spotlight, we've taken a significant step forward.

A Huge Thank You to Everyone Involved
    To everyone who tuned in, shared, donated, and showed support – you are the heartbeat of this mission. Your commitment drives real change, not just in funding research, but in creating a more informed and empathetic society.

With heartfelt gratitude,
    Team OMF

EzzieD, Laurie P, Sean and 10 others like this.