Plasma taurine level is linked to symptom burden and clinical outcomes in post-COVID condition, 2024, Khoramjoo et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 6, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Plasma taurine level is linked to symptom burden and clinical outcomes in post-COVID condition
    Mobin Khoramjoo; Kaiming Wang; Karthik Srinivasan; Mahmoud Gheblawi; Rupasri Mandal; Simon Rousseau; David Wishart; Vinay Prasad; Lawrence Richer; Angela M. Cheung; Gavin Y. Oudit

BACKGROUND
    A subset of individuals (10–20%) experience post-COVID condition (PCC) subsequent to initial SARS-CoV-2 infection, which lacks effective treatment. PCC carries a substantial global burden associated with negative economic and health impacts. This study aims to evaluate the association between plasma taurine levels with self-reported symptoms and adverse clinical outcomes in patients with PCC.

METHODS
    and findings We analyzed the plasma proteome and metabolome of 117 individuals during their acute COVID-19 hospitalization and at the convalescence phase six-month post infection.

FINDINGS
    were compared with 28 age and sex-matched healthy controls. Plasma taurine levels were negatively associated with PCC symptoms and correlated with markers of inflammation, tryptophan metabolism, and gut dysbiosis. Stratifying patients based on the trajectories of plasma taurine levels during six-month follow-up revealed a significant association with adverse clinical events. Increase in taurine levels during the transition to convalescence were associated with a reduction in adverse events independent of comorbidities and acute COVID-19 severity. In a multivariate analysis, increased plasma taurine level between acute and convalescence phase was associated with marked protection from adverse clinical events with a hazard ratio of 0.13 (95% CI: 0.05–0.35; p<0.001).

CONCLUSIONS
    Taurine emerges as a promising predictive biomarker and potential therapeutic target in PCC. Taurine supplementation has already demonstrated clinical benefits in various diseases and warrants exploration in large-scale clinical trials for alleviating PCC.

Link | PDF (PLOS ONE) [Open Access]

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Magnesium and taurine IM injections for 2.5 years was the best treatment I received for ME/CFS. The jabs reduced my breathlessness and improved my gait. Totally calmed my hyper-brain symptoms.

I wish I could have more of them.

3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was recommended by Dr Paul Cheney for that kind of thing @Mij

I have always had some around since then and just put it in a drink if I feel I need to.

What I have found with longcovid is taurine had minimal effect but lysine on the other hand, taken with NAC, has a significant impact on headaches.

I would suggest to any LC researchers that they take a look at lysine.

From what I know of it, it appears to impact my vasodilation control by assisting calcium transport. That is as far as I have got with theory, but its a real effect whatever it is.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is a study with mostly older hospitalised patients with a range of comorbidities and medication regimes. The adverse events are all sorts of things.
    The investigators measured lots of metabolites and other molecules.
    • 47 cytokines, chemokine, growth factors
    • 274 human proteins
    • 635 endogenous metabolites

Considering all of those factors, which will create a lot of noise and potential for false discovery, the study is relatively small. I don't really understand why investigators would go to all that trouble, all those analyses, and not have carefully selected their sample so that they had a better chance of finding something useful.

Absolute levels of taurine in the convalescence phase (approx 6 months after infection)

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 6.22.40 am.png
    Yes, there is a difference there in plasma taurine in whether someone had an adverse event during convalescence. But, the mean levels are actually really similar and there is a lot of overlap. Because a proportion of someone's taurine comes from their diet, and because even their capacity to make their own taurine depends on the quality of their diet, there is the possibility that some of the sick patients were struggling to eat enough protein. Lower levels of taurine were associated with higher levels of nausea.

They say that taurine levels were negatively associated with markers of gut dysbiosis. Again, sicker patients might be eating poorly and having more antibiotics for bacterial infections, wiping out their gut flora and so potentially reducing their capacity to absorb nutrients. So, the association of lower taurine with adverse events might not be causal.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this is how I was able to convince my doctor to rx it for me because he attended one of Dr. Cheney's conferences back in 2001.

My taurine RBC levels on my amino acid test was in the mid levels, so not too low. We added it to the mg sulfate because taurine helps with the absorption of mg into the cells. The mg sulfate injections alone didn't give me any relief from the parkinsonism symptoms I had.

6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aaaaah! Penny drops. Taurine for Mg, lysine for Ca. Very interesting. I desisted with taurine because I noticed headache spikes after taking it. But if that was because it was helping Mg out of the blood and into cells it would raise relative Ca in plasma, which I know makes my headaches worse. That would be consistent. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Trewhitt and Mij like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But also to make nutrients. We need our biome for all sorts of things, and I am not sure we understand the full range or importance.

8. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A sentence such as
    to me, makes it seems like they started of with a hypothesis in relation to Taurine and then undertook a study to investigate that.

However, their setup very strongly suggests that this is not the case.

They performed hundreds of measurements on a very badly chosen cohort and then reported on one of the anomalies of those measurements, which given the setup, is probably just noise.