PON1 Status in Relation to Gulf War Illness: Evidence of Gene–Exposure Interactions from a Multisite Case–Control Study…, 2024, Steele, Klimas+

Discussion in 'Gulf War Illness' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 31, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PON1 Status in Relation to Gulf War Illness: Evidence of Gene–Exposure Interactions from a Multisite Case–Control Study of 1990–1991 Gulf War Veterans
    Steele, Lea; Furlong, Clement E.; Richter, Rebecca J.; Marsillach, Judit; Janulewicz, Patricia A.; Krengel, Maxine H.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Sullivan, Kimberly; Chao, Linda L.

BACKGROUND
    Deployment-related neurotoxicant exposures are implicated in the etiology of Gulf War illness (GWI), the multisymptom condition associated with military service in the 1990–1991 Gulf War (GW). A Q/R polymorphism at position 192 of the paraoxonase (PON)-1 enzyme produce PON1192 variants with different capacities for neutralizing specific chemicals, including certain acetylcholinesterase inhibitors.

METHODS
    We evaluated PON1192 status and GW exposures in 295 GWI cases and 103 GW veteran controls. Multivariable logistic regression determined independent associations of GWI with GW exposures overall and in PON1192 subgroups. Exact logistic regression explored effects of exposure combinations in PON1192 subgroups.

RESULTS
    Hearing chemical alarms (proxy for possible nerve agent exposure) was associated with GWI only among RR status veterans (OR = 8.60, p = 0.014). Deployment-related skin pesticide use was associated with GWI only among QQ (OR = 3.30, p = 0.010) and QR (OR = 4.22, p < 0.001) status veterans. Exploratory assessments indicated that chemical alarms were associated with GWI in the subgroup of RR status veterans who took pyridostigmine bromide (PB) (exact OR = 19.02, p = 0.009) but not RR veterans who did not take PB (exact OR = 0.97, p = 1.00). Similarly, skin pesticide use was associated with GWI among QQ status veterans who took PB (exact OR = 6.34, p = 0.001) but not QQ veterans who did not take PB (exact OR = 0.59, p = 0.782).

CONCLUSIONS
    Study results suggest a complex pattern of PON1192 exposures and exposure–exposure interactions in the development of GWI.

Link | PDF (International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health) [Open Access]

shak8, Hutan, Starlight and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Introduction

forestglip likes this.
  3. Hutan

Methods
    398 veterans from three pre-existing cohorts. 295 GWI cases and 103 controls
    That sentence is slightly worrying. Hopefully the Gulf War veteran controls were actually healthy and not in some no mans land of being ill but not quite ticking the right boxes to be considered to have GWI.

One cohort was only asked to estimate their exposures during the war 9 to 15 years after the war, so that data may not be great.

That's important, although they haven't yet said what risk factors they considered.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    MeSci and forestglip like this.
  4. Hutan

PON1 status assays
    I think they must have identified the actual PON1 genotype, but I'm not 100% sure. Ed. I don't think they determined PON1 genotype - reference 35 only talks about determining PON1 function using substrates. They definitely determined the function i.e. the enzyme activity in breaking down the toxins. That does mean that the different ages of some of the blood samples might be relevant.

forestglip likes this.
  5. Hutan

Results
    Demographics
    Females accounted for 18% of GWI cases and 15% of veteran controls. I don't know if the selection of the cohorts was on a population basis or if there was some selection
    If PON1 status is determined by PON1 function, then of course PON1 status is going to vary by PON1 function. They don't seem to have determined PON1 genotype. ?

I'm surprised about the finding that PON1 activity didn't vary by GWI case status, but Table 2 shows very clearly that it didn't.

forestglip likes this.
  6. Hutan

3.4 Association of exposures with GWI case status
    Table 4 shows that a range of exposures were associated with GWI case status.

E.g.
    86% of GWI cases heard chemical alarms sound versus 64% of controls. Adjusted odds ratio of 1.7
    83% of GWI cases took the pyridostigmine bromide versus 60% of controls. Adjusted odds ratio of 2.0
    13% of GWI cases wore flea collars versus 1% of controls. Adjusted odds ratio of 9.8
    73% of GWI cases used pesticide spray on skin versus 36% of controls. Adjusted odds ratio of 3.9

So, they are suggesting some interactions of the exposure factors.

3.5 GWI Status and Cholinergic Exposures by PON1 status
    Table 5 gives the results of correlations between combinations of exposures and PON1 status on GWI status.

Hearing chemical alarms and having RR PON1 status is reported as giving the highest odds ratio (8.60). Having taken pyridostigmine bromide dramatically increased the odds in this groups of GWI (19.0).

Using pesticides on skin gave significant odds ratios for people with QQ and QR PON1 status (3.3. and 4.2). Having taken pyridostigmine bromide changed the odds ratios, increasing them in the QQ veterans to 6.3.

7. Hutan

I'm sorry, I'm still confused how they determined PON1 status and what they mean by it. I think they just mean the functional phenotype.

Discussion
    But, the good news - it seems their findings do fit with what is known about the biology of the PON1 forms.

That's something to hang onto. The combination of exposure to nerve gas and the RR genotype as a major risk factor for GWI seems to have been replicated - they suggest in 'multiple studies'.

And there does seem to be a coherent story about the increased risk for people with the Q alloform carriers with respect to pesticides:

8. Hutan

This was interesting, for beyond the Gulf War:
    They talk about how smoking can reduce PON1 efficiency and how that could explain some modification of risk associated with being a smoker.

They also talk about how the pyridostigmine bromide may have increase vulnerability for both RR veterans and QQ veterans.
    It seems likely that a subset of people diagnosed with ME/CFS, people who aren't Gulf War veterans, have had cholinergic exposures that have caused their symptoms.