Post-Acute COVID-19 Symptoms, a Potential Link with [ME/CFS]: A 6-Month Survey in a Mexican Cohort, 2021, González-Hermosillo et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

The aim of this study was to describe the clinical evolution during 6 months of follow-up of adults recovered from COVID-19. We tried to determine how many met the definition of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). A total of 130 patients (51.0 ± 14 years, 34.6% female) were enrolled. Symptoms were common, participants reported a median number of 9 (IQR 5–14) symptoms. Fatigue was the most common symptom (61/130; 46.9%). Patients with fatigue were older 53.9 ± 13.5 years compared with 48.5 ± 13.3 years in those without fatigue (p = 0.02) and had a longer length of hospital stay, 17 ± 14 days vs. 13 ± 10 days (p = 0.04). There was no difference in other comorbidities between patients with fatigue and those without it, and no association between COVID-19 severity and fatigue. After multivariate adjustment of all baseline clinical features, only age 40 to 50 years old was positively associated with fatigue, OR 2.5 (95% CI 1.05–6.05) p = 0.03. In our survey, only 17 (13%) patients met the Institute of Medicine’s criteria for “systemic exertion intolerance disease,” the new name of ME/CFS. In conclusion, in some patients, the features of post-acute COVID-19 syndrome overlap with the clinical features of ME/CFS.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3425/11/6/760/htm

alktipping, Dolphin, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  2. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad there is a discussion of the effect of different diagnostic criteria on their findings in section 3, where they specify percentages for different case definitions of ME/CFS.

3. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it almost impossible to read large blocks of text link this. Could the text be broken up? @Andy

I appreciate all the time you take to find and post articles, and I almost faint when confronting those with large blocks of text.

alktipping and Mij like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13% is close to what has been found in other infectious illnesses.

alktipping likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping and Andy like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the above detail, I think we can safely assume they are applying the definitions incorrectly somehow.

alktipping, Wyva and OverTheHills like this.