Review Post-COVID Conditions, 2023, Mueller et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Postinfectious syndromes have been described since the Spanish influenza pandemic of 1918. A similar syndrome—post-COVID condition (PCC)—is common; it occurs months after COVID-19 infection and involves fatigue, postexertional malaise, dyspnea, memory loss, diffuse pain, and orthostasis. The medical, psychosocial, and economic impact of PCC is immense. In the United States, PCC has caused widespread unemployment and billions in lost wages.

Risk factors for development of PCC are female sex and severity of acute COVID-19 infection. Proposed pathophysiologic mechanisms include central nervous system inflammation, viral reservoirs, persistent spike protein, cell receptor dysregulation, and autoimmunity. Because presenting symptoms are often vague, the approach to evaluation should be comprehensive with consideration of other diseases that could masquerade as PCC.

Treatments of PCC are little researched, are largely expert based, and are likely to evolve as more evidence emerges. Current therapies, which are symptom targeted, include medications and nonpharmacologic therapies such as optimizing fluid intake, compression garments, progressive activity, meditation, biofeedback, cognitive rehabilitation, and addressing concomitant mood disorders. Many patients will enjoy significant improvements in their quality of life with multimodal treatments and longitudinal care.

Open access: https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(23)00176-3/fulltext

Ash, Sean, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given Mayo's rather poor ME/CFS history this seems like a step forward.

Ash, Sean, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Concise and solid. Explicitly says GET is no longer recommended. Says low dose naltrexone/low dose Abilify can be used but little evidence behind them.

Ash, Sean, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confused by this:

Why 2003? Was 2003 the first time someone did a study to show that ME/CFS can happen after infection? That's the Dubbo study, right?

Sorry if this is an obvious question. I saw the 3 references/notes for that line but not sure whether I understand what is being said.

RedFox and Ash like this.
  5. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They mean the first SARS outbreak (SARS-Cov-1), which happened back then but on a much smaller scale. Still, there were a few studies even back then about the prolonged symptoms people had (even linking them to the then definition of CFS). (And this is why it is even weirder when people say that long covid is something never seen before.)

Edit: Wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–2004_SARS_outbreak

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    ahimsa, RedFox, Ash and 3 others like this.