Pre-pandemic activity on an ME/CFS support forum is highly associated with later activity on a long COVID support forum ..., 2023, Meyerson, Hoyle

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 2, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pre-pandemic activity on a myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome support forum is highly associated with later activity on a long COVID support forum for a variety of reasons: a mixed methods study.
    William U Meyerson; Rick H Hoyle

Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and long COVID share some clinical and social characteristics. We predicted that this would lead to an increased interaction between pre-pandemic members of a ME/CFS online support community and a long COVID community.

We performed a mixed-methods retrospective observational study of the Reddit activity of 7,544 users active on Reddit's long COVID forum. From among 1600 forums, pre-pandemic activity specifically on a ME/CFS forum is the top predictor of later participation on the long COVID forum versus an acute COVID support forum. In the qualitative portion, motives for this co-participation included seeking mutual support and dual identification with both conditions. Some of this effect may be explained by pre-existing ME/CFS possibly being a risk factor for long COVID and/or SARS-CoV-2 infection being a cause of ME/CFS relapse.

The high rate of ME/CFS patients seeking mutual support on a long COVID forum speaks to the long-suffering experience of these patients not feeling heard or respected, and the hope of some ME/CFS patients to gain legitimacy through the public's growing recognition of long COVID.

Link | PDF (Preprint: MedRxiv)

Milo, oldtimer, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

Milo, oldtimer, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 1.30.28 PM Medium.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    Trish and RedFox like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I saw this, I was worried it would be a psychosomatic study making some disgusting claim like, "People with ME think they have long Covid because they're constantly worried about their health and think they're sick" but I was pleasantly surprised.

This study hits on all the major aspects of why someone with pre-pandemic ME would be active in long hauler subs: Hoping long Covid research will make people view ME/CFS as a legitimate disease, hoping a treatment for LC will work for ME, and sharing/getting advice for overlapping symptoms.

sebaaa, Dolphin, Milo and 10 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I guess it’s good to have it in a paper that pwME were motivated by altruism to support pwLC.

Ash, sebaaa, Dolphin and 17 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a great start for the authors.

Ash, Milo, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would not like to do data analysis of those reddit subforums. /cfs is a bit of a mess.

alktipping, Lisa108 and Shadrach Loom like this.
  8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This went better than I expected after reading the title.

oldtimer, EzzieD, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  9. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was dreading what this would be about after reading the title but then it turned out to be a surprise.

oldtimer, EzzieD, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman