PRESSS: A New Patient-Centered Name for an Old Problem, 2021, Ventres

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Sep 19, 2021.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose the answer to "Have you ever experienced any stress in your life?", might be "Haven't you?".

Ash, Snow Leopard, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  2. lunarswirls

lunarswirls Established Member

I know it sounds complicated but it's actually very simple.

When a doctor sees a patient with unexplained symptoms, all they have to do is PRESSS this button

trapdoor1.jpg

and voila!

trapdoor2.jpg

Problem solved!

It's patient-centered because you ask the patient to stand in the center of the room just above the trap door before pressing the button.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Ash, alktipping, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article writes:

"although “of some sort” correctly suggests a lack of exact clarity as to the elements at the root of physical symptoms, its vagueness intentionally invites patients to explore how emotional concerns might contribute to their origin"​

It really comes close to a parody.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know why, but when I read this it made me think of Father Ted and the line "I hear you're a racist now, Father."

Ash, alktipping, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(My bold)

The use of the word "judiciously" in this context makes me think that the doctor prejudges his patients and decides that the patient is not physically ill as soon as they walk in the door. So, he then carries out the absolute minimum tests he can get away with (a Full Blood Count perhaps? It's what my doctors always do when they want to prove they really earned their degrees and I'm obviously wasting their time), and then can tell the patient they are perfectly healthy physically they are just under stress, and need anti-depressants.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often use "or whatever" as a shorthand to the empty narratives they use to justify themselves but this is literally it. Stress... of some sort. Stress... or whatever. They are actually getting lazier with time, this is just very low effort resulting in accidental self-parody.

Ash, EzzieD, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl: :rofl: That made me spit out my orange juice!

Down With.jpg

Arnie Pye, EzzieD, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the face of it that sign makes no sense.

He's holding a handwritten/painted sign saying 'down with this sort of thing' where 'this sort of thing' is clearly standing around holding handwritten/painted signs protesting against people standing around.......