1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevalence and correlates of alexithymia in older persons with medically (un)explained physical symptoms, 2022, Bos et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 19, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objectives
    Much is unknown about the combination of Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS) and alexithymia in later life, but it may culminate in a high disease burden for older patients. In the present study we assess the prevalence of alexithymia in older patients with either MUS or Medically Explained Symptoms (MES) and we explore physical, psychological and social correlates of alexithymia.

Methods and Design
    A case control study was performed. We recruited older persons (>60 years) with MUS (N = 118) or MES (N = 154) from the general public, general practitioner clinics and hospitals. Alexithymia was measured by the 20-item Toronto Alexithymia Scale, correlates were measured by various questionnaires.

Results
    Prevalence and severity of alexithymia were higher among older persons with MUS compared to MES. Alexithymia prevalence in the MUS subgroup was 23.7%. We found no association between alexithymia and increasing age. Alexithymia was associated with depressive symptoms, especially in the MUS population.

Conclusions
    Alexithymia prevalence was lower than generally found in younger patients with somatoform disorder, but comparable to studies with similar diagnostic methods for MUS. Considering the high prevalence and presumed etiological impact of alexithymia in older patients with MUS, as well as its association with depression, this stresses the need to develop better understanding of the associations between alexithymia, MUS and depression in later life.

Open access, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gps.5736

Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ignore the factor loading bit of this table which I found online. I've copied the image here because I think it's not an appropriate index to use with people with conditions like ME where some of the questions the rational answer is yes because of ME symptoms and clinicians telling us there's nothing wrong.

[​IMG]

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whoever created that questionnaire, @Trish , would probably make an excellent prosecuting lawyer. They'll tie you in knots and then it will end up with you admitting to a murder you didn't commit.

The sub-text is not exactly hidden is it?

Mithriel, Wonko, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Enough said.

Mithriel, alktipping, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I found a copy of the 20-item Toronto Alexithymia Scale on an Autism website:
    https://embrace-autism.com/toronto-alexithymia-scale/#Taking_the_test

Edit: Note the bit about some questions being reverse scored - that confused me at first.

If you go to the website I linked, you can take the test for yourself and it will automatically score it for you and give you the subscores for the 3 subsections.

To me it seems inappropriate for someone with MUS, ME/CFS etc because some questions that would contribute to the score are actually about having unexplained symptoms.

For example:

2. It is difficult for me to find the right words for my feelings.
    3. I have physical sensations that even doctors don’t understand.
    7. I am often puzzled by sensations in my body.
    17. It is difficult for me to reveal my innermost feelings, even to close friends.

It is perfectly reasonable for someone with ME/CFS to score high on these without it reflecting alexithymia at all. 2 because of cognitive dysfunction, and 3 and 7 because the whole point of medically unexplained symptoms is that the doctor doesn't understand them, The clue is in the name.
    And 17 because having severe ME cuts a lot of us off from close friendships and exhaustion levels can preclude heart to heart conversations even if our close friends believe how sick we are. Emoting is exhausting.

So the whole stuff about differences between MUS and MES groups is just down to unsuitable questionnaires, not differences in alex..wotsit.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Mithriel, Wonko, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What would those be? There is nothing known about the biology of symptoms, all there is is association: this symptom is associated with this diagnosis or disease process. That's not an explanation. It's completely arbitrary, especially since it depends on perception of the disease, so that symptoms of cancer will be considered explained, while the same symptoms in ME will be dismissed, not because the symptoms themselves are explained, but based entirely on the recognition and perception of the diagnosis in medicine.

The conclusion is ridiculous. This is not a serious field of study.

Wonko, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As to statement number 3 in Trish's post:

"I have physical sensations even my doctors don't understand."

Yes, right up until Covid. Now that many people have experienced long-covid -- surprise -- much understanding has ensued.

These MUS that had in the past been systematically reframed as health anxiety so as to easily be ignored now turn out to be a real physical health issue as understood by the many health care practitioner's who now suffer these symptoms.

And still the band plays on for the MUS/BPS cabal. They are deeply invested in there alternative reality and can't let go. I think that's a mental health issue.

Mithriel, alktipping, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  8. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About alexithymia :

" The concept itself is debated and does not appear in international nosographic classifications." https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithymie

Thus, alexithymia isn't even in the DSM-5, the bible of psychiatrists. It is one of many concepts from psychoanalysis and psychosomatic theory. Here is its origin and on what basis it has been developed :

" Dr Sifneos’s * interest in psychosomatic medicine started early in his career when treating patients with so called psychosomatic illness. He observed that they often had an inability to find the appropriate words to describe their feelings. He discussed this at length with Dr John Nemiah, a close friend, who affirmed the observation. As a result, in 1972 Dr Sifneos introduced the term alexithymia from the Greek a for lack, lexis for word, and thymos for emotion, meaning lack of words for emotions. The term described a marked difficulty in experiencing, identifying, differentiating and expressing feelings; as well as a paucity of fantasies and a utilitarian (stimulus bound and tied to reality) way of thinking."
    https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/05/peter-emanuel-sifneos/

Thereby, the study authors of this thread wrote :

We know that's what they (authors) tend to think (irrepressible desire, perhaps ?), unfortunately for them, 76.3% of MUS patients did not have alexithymia according to their study !

* Peter Emanuel Sifneos, M.D. Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School

* John Case Nemiah, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at both Harvard Medical School and Dartmouth Medical School