Prevalence and correlates of chronic fatigue syndrome and post-traumatic stress disorder after the outbreak of the COVID-19, Simani et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13365-021-00949-1

Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A very small sample to draw population wide conclusions, also is there any guarantee that people catching Covid-19 and being admitted to this one hospital are representative of a normal population.

I am also puzzled that they don’t mention in the abstract the unambiguously physical sequelae of Covid-19 relating to heart, lung and neurological issues.

Kitty, Mithriel, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like the first study that tested for ME/CFS six months after COVID-19.

Unfortunately, they didn't do a proper medical examination as most case definitions of ME/CFS require. They simply used a questionnaire where patients could indicate the severity of each of the Fukuda-criteria symptoms.

Baraniuk has previously used that approach and found that approximately 2% of patients met the Fukuda criteria (most likely a severe overestimate considering not all requirements of the diagnostic criteria were met).

In this Iranian study on COVID-19, 2.5% met the ME/CFS definition Baraniuk used previously. The authors write about this:

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Um, OK, it doesn't increase the risk (as per their results) but given that Iran has reported 1.45m infections, an additional 29k ME patients is not an insignificant problem to deal with (assuming 2% prevelance).

Kitty, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are multiple differences between the populations studied by Baraniuk and the Iranian study so their prevalences might not be directly comparable unless there are some huge differences (e.g. 5-10 times higher in the post-COVID-19 population). That wasn't the case here and I suspect that's what the authors mean: the 0.5% difference falls within the uncertainty of their comparison.

Dolphin, Michelle, Hutan and 4 others like this.