1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Proprioception Dexterity Balance

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by DokaGirl, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know how common this is, but, when my "dizziness" was at its worst, my vision would sometimes appear to be tilted maybe 5~10 degrees clockwise. It was most noticeable when walking down a hallway. It may have had something to do with my eyes not converging correctly, but I'm not sure.

[This is actually a hallway built to be tilted. In my case the floor would have also appeared tilted.]

Tilt.jpg

https://twitter.com/CurbedSF/status/1037747683207856129

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    DokaGirl, MEMarge, andypants and 3 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dear effing god, if i had to walk through that hallway i would be banging off the walls and probably have a seizure :dead:

DokaGirl, MEMarge, Forbin and 4 others like this.
  3. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too crashed to read thread, sorry, just title. I fall over when I close my eyes, and generally lose my balance, every time my B12 drops below about 350. Can't remember the units.

My neuro (I see regularly for chronic migraines) always has me close my eyes. If I fall over, he sends me for a blood test - is always low when I'm falling!

I just can't keep my B12 up despite daily sublinguals.

DokaGirl, MEMarge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Which sublingual do you take and what dose?

DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  5. Squeezy

I take Jarrows methylcobalamin 1000mcg daily. It can get me up to 650 whatever units on B12 blood tests, which is great. But then it can slide down again.

Maybe I go through times when I'm not even absorbing it sublingually? Wouldn't be suprised. Everything digestive stops with migraines.

DokaGirl, andypants and Trish like this.
  6. Alvin

You can take a much higher dose, 5000mcg tablets are available around here. Also 650 is still considered low, there is research suggesting 800(?) is the lowest acceptable level (i don't have a link handy). Methylcobalamin is a good one but it might be worth trying another brand? There is also adenosylcobalamin, not sure it will make any difference though some seem to swear by it.
    Also blood tests will pickup the levels in the blood but not bound to protein(?), to get a proper level you have to stop for a few weeks to a month then get tested. I am curious why your level drops so quickly, the body can store several years of B12 but your not for some reason. Might be worth investigating, though i don't know who you should go to to look at this.

7. Squeezy

Thanks @Alvin. Aint never achieved 800. :jawdrop: I know the Japanese say 500 is low, for sure.

Yes, exactly - we should all have several years of B12 stored - yet my meat eating, healthy diet son also recently turned up a low B12, (plus low folate), blood test. Maybe it's genetic?

I need to get him tested for pernicious anemia. I'm not taking it from food either clearly. Should also get tested.

I'll try adenosylcobalamin - maybe 2000 of that and 2000 of the other will do the trick :laugh:

Guess I should get injections, but I'd have to arrange it privately, as the GP thinks pills are enough. I have no brain for it all.

DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did Shot-O-B12 sublingual spray for a while, it was very very efficient for me. I went up to 1650 on it (up from 370).

Unfortunately they have discontinued it on iHerb so I now use Jarrow methyl B12 + folate lozenges.

I am probably absorbing B12 well, though.

ETA: random missing words.

DokaGirl, Squeezy and MEMarge like this.
  9. Alvin

Well if the blood level goes up with the supplements then the injection will still make it higher still so you are absorbing the supplement. But why are you not retaining it. You might be right that its genetic, but high blood levels that the body can't store and maybe not properly utilize is something to investigate.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I switched to injectable and have found it very helpful.

DokaGirl and Squeezy like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like an effect like the "tilted hallway" I posted above might be caused by a problem with the 4th cranial nerve, aka the "Trochlear Nerve."
    Unlike the other eleven, multi-functional cranial nerves, the only thing the 4th cranial nerve controls is the muscle that rotates the eye around its pupil's axis a few degrees. It does this to compensate for the lateral tilt of the head.

It's also the longest cranial nerve, as it is the only one that reaches around to the back of the brain-stem. Its length may make it more susceptible to injury. It can also suffer "central damage" at its "nucleus" where it connects to the brain stem.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  12. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. As a child I had a very bad ear infection and spent two weeks pressing a pillow to my ear with my shoulder. For two weeks after, I kept my head tipped to the side because my sight had reoriented itself and I believed I was holding my head straight. Makes sense that it could (mal)adjust for other reasons as well.