1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Protocol: Randomized-controlled Trial of Immunoadsorption (IA) in Patients With CFS Including Patients With Post-COVID-19 CFS, 2023, Burock

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by FMMM1, Feb 2, 2023.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study Description

Brief Summary:
    The goal of this clinical trial is to learn about the effectiveness of repeated immunoadsorption intervention in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) including patients with post-acute COVID-19 CFS (PACS-CFS).

The main questions it aims to answer are: (1) Does repeated immunoadsorption relieve fatigue and/or other symptoms associated with CSF and PACS-CSF? (2) Is repeated immunoadsorption safe and tolerable in this patient population? What are the side effects of repeated immunoadsorption, and how common are they?

Participants will be asked to participate for approx. 32 weeks (8 months). After screening, participants will receive assigned intervention of either five immunoadsorption treatments (with Ig adsorber) every other day over 10 days or matching sham treatments (without Ig adsorber), followed by a 6-month follow-up period with three ambulatory visits. Every participant will undergo trial outcome, safety, and monitoring assessments.

The results of this study will provide information on whether repeated immunoadsorption can alleviate symptoms associated with CSF and PACS-CSF, as well as insights into the pathophysiological processes in this condition, which in turn can help to develop new and effective therapies.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05710770?cond=ME/CFS&cntry=DE&draw=2&rank=3

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*Squints closer*
    CSF
    Ah yes, the elusive disorder ME/CSF. Confusingly, the study also refers to CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) correctly.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Primary outcome is Chalder fatigue scale.
    If this is genuinely blinded it may not matter if the outcome measure is suboptimal.

Ariel, Fizzlou, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They plan to recruit 66 patients of which 44 will be randomized to the Immunoadsorption group if I understand correctly. The other 22 will receive a sham intervention. So the idea is to plan patients but unfortunately it will not be possible to blind the nurses administrating the treatment.

Weird that they choose the Chalder Fatigue scale as the primary outcome but there are more than 10 secondary outcomes includes secondary ones.