Public urged to wear face masks again as new Covid sub-variant sweeps Britain

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Apr 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Public urged to wear face masks again as new Covid sub-variant sweeps Britain (msn.com)

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We still wear masks when out and about. There are still some who wear masks in our locale, however most people don't. Even most seniors we see are not wearing masks.
    People are still being hospitalized here and some are dieing.

It won't be long for the new variant in the UK to get here, if it isn't already here.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

GP surgery & hospitals here no longer wearing masks, everyone back to 'normal'. So everyone has to sit there breathing in the soup of all the people coughing etc, sitting crammed together & no ventilation. I was the only person in there not just with an N95, but with any face covering at all.

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wear a mask when in public, although I'm not sure if I need to as I think my ME is autoimmune. It's better than having to go to hospital.

Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  6. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish that everyone wore masks, but as my wife and daughters regularly mix unmasked with other humans, it’s not really worth wearing one myself on rare excursions into public places.

7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, no masks now in our GP's office.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At this point, the minimizing disinformation out of public health institutions is more likely to lead to people to defy those rules. At least in the population that doesn't see themselves as vulnerable. As in we may be seeing stuff like flash crowds basically breathing into each others' faces simply to send the message that they don't trust authorities anymore, probably some mask snatchers removing them straight from people's faces. And then of course you add the mass cognitive impairment from so many infections, it's such a recipe for disaster and social murder.

And frankly I can't fault anyone doing that. It's literally in the textbook of epidemics that you have to tell the truth, even if it's uncomfortable, precisely because otherwise this is what happens. We have been completely failed by the cowards we have instead of leaders, all thinking of their career first. When you lie to achieve your ends, the means become the ends, and so you end up with a whole lot of lies and not much else. Just where we are today.

The fix was obviously in when hospitals continued forcing people to ditch superior masks and the gloating and celebration among healthcare workers when mandates got dropped. The pandemic wasn't just politicized, it was fully politicized, and nowhere more than in the medical profession itself.

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Not sure that is true. Some did, no doubt. But pretty sure a lot were not happy about it either.

10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The WHO and CDC delayed telling the public for months that covid is airborne. I remember in 2020 reading articles by aerosol researchers that covid is airborne. I don't know why they weren't taken more seriously by the WHO and CDC, but god knows how many unnecessary deaths occurred because of this delay. I hope this doesn't happen the next time.

Here's a May 2021 article about the WHO's delay and possible reasons for it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2021/05/04/who-coronavirus-airborne/?sh=1b1677714472

11. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i think worth it if you go to an indoor crowded place

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  12. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those should just be avoided, full stop. Covid or no covid. Actually, ME or no ME.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not always possible. The person who took me to the dentist and I were the only ones masked in the dentists' waiting room a couple of days ago. The dentist has always worn a surgical mask even before the pandemic, so he was masked while treating me. Not sure about the dental nurse, can't remember.

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A mixed reaction, but this was no cause for celebration. Many happy to do the wrong thing. Others unhappy. Doesn't really inspire any confidence given the basis is BS. It shows mass confusion about basic facts.

15. JemPD

yes thank goodness at least they will still be wearing them

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  16. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope mask manufacturers will improve designs since masks need to fit well. I think masks should have adjustable ear loops, chin wraps to prevent aerosols from entering gaps, and nose wires to customize fit.

More sizes would help, too. Many large people have a hard time finding masks that fit. An Asian friend of mine has tiny ears and had to really search before finding a mask with loops that would work.

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  17. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went to the dentists recently and the dentist didn't wear a mask. I don't think anyone at the practice - employees or visitors - did (except me!).

DokaGirl, alktipping, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  18. JemPD

thats shocking. i mean regardless of covid thats revolting, i dont want my dentists breath going directly into my face. In my entire life i never had a dental appointment without the dentist wearing a mask, ugh!

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  19. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here, it was mandatory to wear masks in all healthcare settings until just a few days ago but not anymore.

20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because the new variant causes eyes to get crusty it is worthwhile to wash hands really well and be very careful about touching door handles and suchlike.

MEMarge, Wits_End, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.