Publication of the NICE ME/CFS guideline after the pause (comment starting from the announcement of 20 October 2021)

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Sly Saint, Oct 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is scope here in relation to supporting people with chronic illness to tailor that support to the specific issues the individual is experiencing, especially as we have no clear evidence supporting any one particular approach.

I had big issues changing my behaviour to do less, to incorporate pacing into my daily life, which meshes well with CBT, however someone else may struggle emotionally to accept being severely restricted which might be better suited to good old fashioned Rogerian counselling, another person may have worries about the future and need an informed listener to ensure they understand what we do and don’t know about the course of ME, and so on.

If we have no evidence to decide what is appropriate to any person, or indeed any evidence that any psychological intervention at all is helpful, it does seem inappropriate to specify only CBT, though here in the UK currently that is all that is likely to be on offer within the NHS.

Ash, Joel, livinglighter and 10 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The BPS people were on the ball.

Depression in adults with a chronic physical health problem: recognition and management
    NICE Clinical guideline [CG91] Published: 28 October 2009

Ash, Robert 1973, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure they saw opportunities there. But I think there can be other issues in terms of copeing as well as depression.

Joel, rainy, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is precisely why it's important that we record full quotes in these threads, rather than just post a link. It's all too easy for something to be changed online :(

Ash, Arnie Pye, ukxmrv and 12 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A very clear statement on patients having the absolute right to decline such programs, without that prejudicing their status in the health & welfare systems, is essential.

Ash, Louie41, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can feel a few 'we prefer our definition' moments coming along.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/about/difference/22-cbt-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Ash, Louie41, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That was Chalder 30 years ago, and she hasn't learned anything. It must be quite something to be able to hold on to such fantasies for so long in the face of mounting evidence that she's wrong. I wonder whether the BPS group will even face up to the harm their fixed beliefs have done to many thousands of sick people. There's something very wrong with science/medicine that allows perpetuation of myths like this.

Ash, geminiqry, Louie41 and 33 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

CBT for CFS encourages people to gradually build up and resume regular daily activities, to identify and plan how to deal with any triggers that might cause symptoms to get worse – to learn how to manage and reduce the symptoms.

The record's stuck...
    The record's stuck...
    The record's stuck...
    The record's stuck...
    The record's stuck...
    The record's stuck...

Ash, Louie41, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  9. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When are the Rountable minutes being released? After the Exec meeting?

Louie41, Ariel, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Up where, one has to wonder.

Louie41, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:

Louie41, Sean, Barry and 2 others like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may seem picky to be worrying about whether the guideline is coming out this week or the next but in this thread

https://www.s4me.info/threads/evide...sharpe-chalder-white.22905/page-5#post-384766

there is discussion of a letter that White, Miller and Chalder had published yesterday in the Mail on Sunday where they claim that GET and CBT have good trials supporting their use as evidence based treatments.

If the guidelines had come out on Saturday we could have pointed out that this was a lie, but the current NICE guidelines support it.

Who knows what they will get into the public consciousness over the next week or so?

Ash, Louie41, SNT Gatchaman and 17 others like this.
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Also once the new guidelines are published we can respond to such with the statement that they are acting against the conclusions of their own professional bodies, ie the medical Royal Colleges, whose representatives have agreed to support the new guidelines and that these interventions are unsafe and inappropriate at the NICE round table event.

Ash, Louie41, EzzieD and 15 others like this.
  14. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Work commissioned of the Academy of the Royal Colleges-......
    https://www.hee.nhs.uk/our-work/patient-safety

Patient Safety

Patient safety is the guiding principle of all who serve in the NHS – the first and most important lesson staff should learn is how to act safely. Our work on education and training for patient safety looks at how Health Education England can best support individuals and the system as a whole to deliver this.

The Commission on Education and Training for Patient Safety published its report Improving Safety Through Education and Training in 2016. Since then Health Education England (HEE) has been delivering against the recommendations within the report nationally, regionally and in collaboration with partners. This has set a firm grounding for the next phase of educational development required to deliver the NHS Patient Safety Strategy (NPSS).

Patient Safety Syllabus
    Health Education England has published the first NHS-wide Patient Safety Syllabus which applies to all NHS employees and will result in NHS employees receiving enhanced patient safety training.

Written by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and commissioned by HEE the new National Patient Safety Syllabus outlines a new approach to patient safety emphasising a proactive approach to identifying risks to safe care while also including systems thinking and human factors.

To view the Patient Safety Syllabus click below:

Patient Safety Syllabus

Patient Safety Syllabus Accessible Version

In addition you can find more information below:

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions Accessible Version

Implementation of Patient Safety Syllabus

Rationale for Patient Safety Syllabus

Rationale for Patient Safety Syllabus Accessible Version

The Patient Safety Team can be contacted on patientsafety@hee.nhs.uk

Patient Safety Repository - In Safe Hands

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thefacultylounge.org/

16. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not been able to write a post about this, but there is generally not enough recognition that CBT for ME/CFS as practiced is actually psychological abuse. It is the opposite of learning to cope with your illness (which really needs to involve accepting being ill) which is presumably what is meant by "supportive" CBT. If this is not recognized and the differences between the approaches clearly delineated, patients will suffer. I was disappointed with the fuzziness and what I perceive to be quite a lax attitude on these points.

Is it really the case that proponents of what is actually psychological abuse can hide behind the idea that CBT is a monolith and there is no evidence to distinguish one type of practice from another? You can just do anything and call it "CBT". Where is the protection for patients?

Sorry if this has been covered.

Wits_End, Louie41, Kirsten and 28 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I very much agree with this sentiment. I think there is a major problem and indicate that in my testimony. I think the answer is yes, proponents of CBT can hide behind not so much a monolith as a putty ball that can be squashed into whatever shape desired.

The answer is always that CBT is tailored to the individual. How that is possible when we don't even know it works makes no sense but it is something accepted very widely, including by many people PWME might see as sympathetic.

At the round table the main concern of those worried about removing 'curative CBT' was that a too negative view of CBT was being given, reducing hope That was countered by a committee representative and others indicating that patients do not want false hope. The discussion did not progress further.

It is perhaps of interest that now that the round table is over, continuing resistance to the guidelines is now coming from the psychiatry PACE authors rather than the rehabilitationists who dominated the RT discussion.

Ash, Arnie Pye, Wits_End and 37 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The rehabilitationists and royal colleges were just pawns sent by the PACE group, weren't they? They came across as not really having domain knowledge.

Louie41, SNT Gatchaman, Sean and 12 others like this.
  19. Peter Trewhitt

Presumably the Guidance Executive at NICE are meeting today, as they seem to usually meet on Tuesdays, so presumably we will hear tomorrow their timescale for publishing the new guidelines if they follow a pattern of a next day online announcement.

We don’t know if the proposed ‘clarification’ will be in the form of amendments to the guidelines itself or in supplementary material. If the former, who would need to agree this, would the guidelines committee need to be involved?

I am also assuming publishing will involve advanced embargoed access to the new guidelines and associated material for steak holders and with a press release for the media, a minimum of several days in advance of formal publication.

(Note. Pulse in one of their articles referred to the new guidelines already being available via a freedom of information request. I have not seen this reported elsewhere, nor heard that NICE had resumed answering any of the currently overdue FOI requests. Would their be any benefit to NICE to continue delaying their answers till after publication, other than spreading the workload?)

Sean, Ariel, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

And will the relevant Royal Colleges now feel they have been used and abused by the PACE advocates, set up to look foolish?

Who will the SMC now go to for ‘expert opinion’ on publication of the new guidelines?

What will follow the article to appear in the Journal of Internal Medicine (see abstract at https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en...is(536398c9-3ebe-4faf-b3bc-e01257e82c65).html and David Tuller’s comments https://www.virology.ws/2021/10/23/...rrVJwoNE7pGAt0ofVDPx1_Wll6GWe-goU0rXBRlVJK5NU ) and the letter published in the Mail newspaper? Have similar letters been sent to other newspapers or was the one to the Mail just testing the water?

Kirsten, Sean, Ariel and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.