1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend soft safe earplugs, such as a soft medical grade silicone that immediately returns to its default manufactured shape [edited]

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Samuel, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i wear earplugs 24/7. i use disposables now, but there are issues.

i wonder if there are any soft earplugs made out of a safe material. my old respirator had a soft silicone that would retain its shape. like that. [edit: i mean that it would RETURN to its DEFAULT shape and not squish around until it fails to work or whatever!] foam has formaldehyde.

i use mack's silicone earplugs, but they are hard and do not revert to default shape. i go through 1-2 per day in each ear. also they have slippery substance. also i have no idea if they are safe [for examlpe, i don't know the result of the silicone breast implants thing].

so i am asking for soft safe /reusable/ earplugs i guess.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Ash, Invisible Woman and Inara like this.
  2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Samuel, I‘m using these:
    https://www.aponeo.de/03185431-wellnoise-ohrenstopfen-blau.html
    Wellnoise Silikon
    I don‘t know if they‘re available in your country.
    I use them for a longer time; in principle, they‘re washable. You can form them, and They keep their form. They produce very good silence. I am pretty sensitive when it comes to noise, and stuff in my ear. I sleep on the side, which is no problem with these earplugs. I tried different types, and these are the only ones I buy now.

I hope this was your question...

Ash, Samuel and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use these but they sound similar to what you have already?

they revolutionised my sleep and i no longer need sleep meds as a result. Still not restorative but i used to wake to the smallest sound and my CNS would massively overreact and make me feel awful.

i get a few uses out of each pair before they lose that stickiness which helps them seal. Sometimes that stickiness is more like slipperiness, when that happens i squish them a bit and they tend to go sticky.

4. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hearing aids are often 3d printed to the individual ear to ensure a perfect fit. You might be able to get some custom made but without the electronics?

5. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Samuel and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I struggled for years with earplugs. I have quite a small ear opening/tube. There is a noun for it that escapes me today!

Anyway, I find Moldex Spark Plugs very good (35snr). I think you can rinse them but I find I don't really need to. I guess it depends on how mucky your ears get.

I wear mine at least 12 hours a day and sometimes a lot longer than that. I get at least a week's wear out of each pair - though I try to wash my face, plus ears, at least once a day if not twice. I wash my hands before inserting them too.

They aren't expensive and can be bought on ebay and amazon. You can buy quite small amounts just to see if you can get on with them.

I've found they block a lot (but not all) human voice. They virtually eliminate the sound of the hoover, lawn mowers, aircraft, chainsaws, cars, bathroom extractor fan, etc. However if my husband has a cold, he's snoring does cut through :(.

Method of insertion is key to being comfortable and them working effectively.

*****the fastidious look away now*****

Moisten the tip of your little finger and use it to moisten the ear canal. Don't put your finger in too far! Up to the first knuckle should be enough.

Then take the ear plug and roll it between the thumbs & forefinger of each hand as though rolling a cigarette to warm the material and elongate it. When it's about half as long again is about right.

Insert the tip of the earplug into the ear canal. The angle you put the plug in is important. You are aiming in, up and back. Our physiology may vary slightly, but if you think of it as a clock I find halfway between 10 and 11 o'clock works best for me. If you have the angle right it will just slide in smoothly.

Don't insert it all the way. Just almost all the way. The external end of the earplug flares. The widest bit at the very end should remain outside and provide a cover to the canal.

If the earplugs aren't returning to their default shape, or are becoming uncomfortable, or the surface starts to feel different even if they look clean, it's time for a new pair.

Edit - you can sleep on your side with them in. Once they're in right you don't notice them.

Samuel likes this.
  7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love Sleepsoft by Alpine :) They are reusable, very soft, very easy to use and clean, very effective and super comfortable.

Their other model Worksafe is equally excellent, depending on what kind of noise your are looking to block out.

However, they are silicon-free and do not have shape-memory, so maybe not exactly the kind of earplug you were asking for? They do keep their shape really well, no need to mould them before use or anything, just stick them in.

Ash, Invisible Woman and Samuel like this.
  8. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had some of these made for me, and they hurt me terribly.

Ash, Joel, Samuel and 2 others like this.