1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovering from severe acute illness

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Graham, Sep 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As you can guess, I have been thinking a lot about illnesses lately. Going back to my twenties, I went down with chicken pox, which was really nasty, and a few years later a pretty bad flu. In each case I woke up one morning knowing the infection had gone, but feeling utterly drained and grotty – much like ME.

That led me to wonder whether there has been much study on biomarkers when people are on this "recovering" phase, how much is understood of what is happening, and what bodily processes swing into action to get folk back to normal. I know it would be a weird kind of study.

Could that give a lead into why we feel as we do, and perhaps treatments that may help with symptoms? Or am I totally addled?

ladycatlover, Louie41, Ariel and 29 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I am hoping some research is being done like this with Covid.

ladycatlover, Louie41, Ariel and 20 others like this.
  3. paused_me

paused_me Established Member

If you take PolyBio's or Jarred Younger's explanation model it could be the primed microglia or the vagus sensing remains of viral reservoirs or inflammation in your body and sending a signal to the brain stem where the nuclei responsible for the sickness behaviour (“flu-like feeling” etc) are.

Just a thought.

alktipping, MeSci, Graham and 3 others like this.
  4. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is the approach of Naviaux with his theoretical concept of the healing cycle, which then might be broken in ME. I though don´t know how far he has come so far in producing any (general) empirical results.