'Recovery Is Possible: Lessons in ‘ME/CFS’ Recovery from YouTube [Goldsmiths]

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by InitialConditions, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I am afraid that the 'politically vital' is a bit of a foot-put-in-it.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

For the record, here's what it says on the website:
    https://www.gold.ac.uk/careers/work-placements-and-internships/goldsmiths-internships/grip/

GRIP: Research internships

Develop your research skills and your CV over the summer.

GRIP is a programme that gives undergraduates six weeks full-time experience working on an academic research project during the summer between their second and final year.

Opportunities are available in a range of departments and you’ll have the chance to work alongside academic staff on innovative projects that really contribute to Goldsmiths research.

When and where
    The programme runs from the beginning of June to the end of July and working hours are 20 per week. Some start and finish dates may vary. Check the individual opportunity for details.

Internships take place using a hybrid working model for flexibility, meaning you can work both remotely and on campus.

Payment
    Payment is via a bursary of £1578 for six weeks, paid in two instalments at the end of June and the end of July.

2024 Applications are now open
    You can apply for up to two internships. See below for an overview of the projects.

s.duggan (@gold.ac.uk).

This is followed by 6 projects of which this is one:

Recovery is possible: Lessons in 'ME/CFS' recovery from YouTube.

Join an interdisciplinary team on a participant-led project enquiring into the mediatisation of ‘chronic fatigue’ in digital culture.

You will contribute to the social scientific study of illness recovery stories posted to YouTube, developing conceptually innovative and politically vital research.

You will gain first-hand experience of research design, reviewing literature, data production and analysis using quantitative and qualitative methods, and working with an international team with clinical, community, academic and entrepreneurial experience in the areas of health, medicine and wellness.

This is a unique opportunity to study the world through the lenses of media cultures, philosophies of embodiment, and medicine.

Apply through CareerSPACE

3. Jonathan Edwards

Well that about sums it up I suppose. Get you ready for selling ear seeds on Dragon's Den I guess.

4. RaviHVJ

RaviHVJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One slightly positive take-home message from this ridiculous research project - it's the second study I've seen on recovered patients, the other being a published paper consisting of interviews with recovered patients, which was also from a BPS standpoint. Figures like Michael Sharpe have long argued that recovered patients should be included in the research agenda, a case that's been made much more vociferously by Paul Garner. However, both of these studies show that it's actually quite difficult to study fully recovered patients with any kind of rigor. In both cases, you had researchers essentially handpicking patients, resulting in studies that can only be taken seriously by, frankly, zealots.

An actual study of recovered patients would require quite a lot of resources. You'd need to do something like - take a large population of ME/CFS or Long Covid patients, track them over time, and get recovered patients from that broader sample. But that would probably take years and you'd need a very large population in the first place because not that many people completely recover. And when after all that time you get to study that recovered proportion, how the hell do you figure out why they recovered? Interviews are fraught with issues and bias - and people are, as we've found with Paul Garner and others, often not very good self-historians. I know people who'd say they recovered due x or y method, but in reality their recovery coincided with them actually starting to pace. Which is why randomised control trials exist.

So essentially - the BPS cabal could spend quite a lot of effort trying to study this population, but get absolutely nowhere and produce research that is hilariously easy to dismiss and rebut.

EzzieD, pooriepoor91, Amw66 and 12 others like this.
  5. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the more serious issue for these studies, is less that they will sway the academic literature, but more that grifters can use them to add a layer of legitimacy. The average patient who isn’t too scientifically minded will see a link to pubmed and think “wow that looks serious and sciency — must be true then”.

6. RaviHVJ

RaviHVJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hadn't thought of that - and completely true, a study like this must be a huge boon to Raelan Agle and her ilk

FMMM1, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 8 others like this.
  7. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My brain is especially fuddled today, but, I don't understand why MEA have shared it on FB. It sort of comes with a health warning (they are learning), but..

8. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely. There may also be another reason: in the UK, there have previously been adverse Advertising Standards judgements against various forms of quackery, such as these against the LP. If the proponents of these pseudo-therapies can get a few different papers into the literature then they may have a greater chance of getting their claims past various countries' regulators.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is impressively unserious. What's next? Researching the satisfied clients of psychics and how they fell in love with a ghost?

The inevitable end of this ideology is to get even more openly grifting and clownish. I assume we'll see plenty more of that, but it's not as if this is especially less ridiculous than the FINE trial or SMILE.

EzzieD, pooriepoor91, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  10. Trish

The discussion is fine, much like here.

11. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the Web page there is a link for contact Sabrina Duggan.

I have submitted some concerns. The word count is limited. However, I was able to highlight multiple issues with this poor quality work.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

EzzieD, alktipping, Amw66 and 16 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Sabrina Duggan appears to be a careers advisor with a heavy emphasis on selling yourself.

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I assume there is a Goldsmith ethics committee approving this study? Seems they need to take a long hard look at what they are doing.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  14. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not only that, according to this post: "she makes money by charging £250 to people wanting to sell their "coaching programmes""

The fact that her many of her videos are paid promotions makes this study look like an even bigger load of nonsense.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, pooriepoor91 and 14 others like this.
  15. Trish

Thank you Joan.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, JohnTheJack and 12 others like this.
  16. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Joan Crawford

:laugh: She's the link on the 'advert'....

ukxmrv, JohnTheJack, Sean and 6 others like this.
  18. Joan Crawford

Trying to find anyone or a reasonable place to email or contact is baffling at Goldsmiths.

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  19. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, ukxmrv, JohnTheJack and 11 others like this.
  20. Joan Crawford

Sean, alktipping, Hutan and 6 others like this.