Remission of severe forms of Long Covid following monoclonal antibody (MCA) infusions: A report of signal index cases..., 2024, Scheppke, Klimas et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Note: title change in final publication - see post below

Preprint
    Pathophysiology and potential treatment of long COVID: A report of signal index cases and call for targeted research, 2023, Scheppke, Klimas et al

Objective

Long COVID has afflicted tens of millions globally leaving many previously-healthy persons severely and indefinitely debilitated. The objective here was to report cases of complete, rapid remission of severe forms of long COVID following certain monoclonal antibody (MCA) infusions and review the corresponding pathophysiological implications.

Design
    Case histories of the first three index events (among others) are presented. Unaware of others with similar remissions, each subject independently completed personal narratives and standardized surveys regarding demographics/occupation, past history, and the presence and respective severity grading of 33 signs/symptoms associated with long COVID, comparing the presence/severity of those symptoms during the pre-COVID, long-COVID, post-vaccination, and post-MCA phases.

Setting
    Patient interviews, e-mails and telephone conversations.

Subjects
    Three previously healthy, middle-aged, highly-functioning persons, two women and one man (ages 60, 43, and 63 years respectively) who, post-acute COVID-19 infection, developed chronic, unrelenting fatigue and cognitive impairment along with other severe, disabling symptoms. Each then independently reported incidental and unanticipated complete remissions within days of MCA treatment.

Interventions
    The casirivimab/imdevimab cocktail.

Measurements and main results
    Irrespective of sex, age, vaccination status, or illness duration (18, 8 and 5 months, respectively), each subject experienced the same complete remission of their persistent disabling disease within a week of MCA infusion. Each rapidly returned to normal health and previous lifestyles/occupations with normalized exercise tolerance, still sustained to date nearly two years later.

Conclusions
    These index cases provide compelling clinical signals that MCA infusions may be capable of treating long COVID in certain cases, including those with severe debilitation. While the complete and sustained remissions observed here may only apply to long COVID resulting from pre-Delta variants and the specific MCA infused, the striking rapid and complete remissions observed in these cases also provide mechanistic implications for treating/managing other post-viral chronic conditions and long COVID from other variants.

Key points
    • Question: Considering that long COVID-19 has been devastating for many millions worldwide, what is the proposed pathophysiology and are there any effective treatments?

• Findings: Previously-healthy middle-aged persons who had developed persistent debilitating post-acute SARS-CoV-2 sequelae, each experienced complete remission their symptoms within days of receiving a specific monoclonal anti-body infusion despite relative differences in sex, age, vaccination status, and long COVID duration.

• Meaning: Certain monoclonal antibody infusions may be capable of reversing severe long COVID. Beyond providing an effective potential treatment for long COVID, these findings have mechanistic implications for treating other post-viral chronic conditions, including future long COVID variants.
    Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S073567572300534X

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2023
    Ash, Sean, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's not a treatment patients casually try on their own, it has to be prescribed and administered by clinicians. I assume those clinicians didn't choose to give this treatment randomly, and only to 3 patients. If so, why single out these 3 to write a paper about. Why not do a proper pilot study and report on all included patients.

I hope a better pilot study will be done with proper controls, outcome measures and reporting.

Kiwipom, Mij, Ash and 13 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably because of funding. I’m fine with them publishing a case study. Now they have something that they can cite for developing a larger proposal.

5. Trish

I agree, I was just questioning whether they only treated 3 people. If not they should have said what happened to the rest of the people treated, not just picked the 3 that recovered. Unfortunately it's paywalled so I don't know what they did. If they treated and hundred people and 3 recovered, given the short duration of their LC, that's not so surprising - people with short duration LC are recovering all the time. if they only treated a few people and 3 recovered, that looks worth studying further.

Ash, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed the monoclonal antibodies were adminstered in October and September 2021. The price of the drug doesn't seem to be too high either (at least compared to some other things) at roughly $1000 per person, from what I calculated. One would think they would have tried this on more patients by now given the phenomenal results they achieved 2 years ago. They do mention though that these 3 patients received the drug on the basis of a very recent Covid-19 reinfection (there are also some anecdotal stories where a reinfection seemed to cure Long Covid) rather than being Long Covid related.

The journal pre-proof mentions "Among other cases being followed by the investigators, MCA infusions did not improve long COVID patients with isolated (but persistent) anosmia/dysgeusia.", but I don't have access to the paper either.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    bobbler, Ash, Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a pretty weird statement. It seems that the 'objective' was to report the ones that did brilliantly, with no mention of anyone who didn't.

This is not how you do preliminary or pilot studies. Been there, done that.

MEMarge, bobbler, Ash and 13 others like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Noting: "We also express our sincere gratefulness to those various members of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) who provided the investigators with tremendous guidance regarding these findings in the early phases of the project."

This is a summary case series. The summary seems to be that 3 patients with established LC received Regen-Cov2 (casirivimab/imdevimab) as an anti-spike monoclonal-antibody "cocktail" due to repeat (or significant exposure to) acute Covid that was thought to significantly risk worsening of their symptoms.

MEMarge, Kiwipom, Ash and 6 others like this.
  9. Trish

Index cases, I understand, usually means the first recorded cases of a new disease. In this case it seems to be they are claiming them the first recorded cases of sudden recovery from LC after this treatment.

Does it say how many other people with LC were also treated with this drug intended for acute Covid whose LC didn't resolve or even got worse?
    The sentence is ambiguous, do they mean among many others treated, or among many others recovered?

MEMarge, Sean, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

The case reports all read very similarly and I've summarised below. Note case 2 did not re-enter LC despite repeat infection post recovery. If nothing else, this at least confirms that:
    1. It is possible to recover completely
    2. Any effect of deconditioning is rapidly reversed on resuming normal life and exercise

And suggests that:
    There may be a stochastic effect - even with a documented predisposition to LC, repeat infection does not mandate return to pathological state (variant viral infections being noted of course)

11. SNT Gatchaman

Not that I can see.

I read that as "recovered".

Edit: correct my last word.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    Sean, Hutan and Trish like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

Kiwipom, Sean, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

From Appendix B (original emphasis) —

MEMarge, Sean, livinglighter and 2 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

Also from supplementary materials: Appendix B —

MEMarge, Sean, livinglighter and 2 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

So, if I'm understanding things right, the authors of the paper were told about these recoveries. And these three people are the first three they were told about, but there have been others they have been told about since. The authors weren't the ones who administered the treatment, which was, in any case, not administered to cure Long Covid.

So, I guess one question is, how reliable are these reports? Had these people been physically assessed by the authors recently before the treatment? Were they physically assessed by the authors after the treatment? Given the timing of the treatment administration, probably not. What indications are given in the paper that these really are credible reports?

The abstract refers to 'interviews, emails and telephone conversations' and there's a reference to the cases filling out retrospective surveys.

It is interesting, for sure, but this:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    RedFox, Michelle, Ash and 6 others like this.
  16. Hutan

From wikipedia

So, Regeneron, an American company, are the treatment developers and they must have made squillions from it in a very short time.
    But, the treatment doesn't seem to work against the Omicron variant, so that's a problem, including for Regeneron. Presumably they have the technology to tweak the antibodies.
    It would be relatively easy to narrow down the options for how the treatment might be working, if it actually is, by giving it to people who could not have been exposed to earlier variants and who have developed Long Covid from the Omicron variant, as well as people with Long Covid from earlier variants.

The idea that the treatment could work against Long Covid, even if it is just Long Covid from the early variants, or even the rumour of that, would be another huge windfall for Regeneron and possibly for holders of Regeneron stocks. That's one reason why reports of seemingly miraculous recoveries need to be really solid.

Hopefully someone has a good trial of the treatment underway.

MEMarge, Michelle, Ash and 6 others like this.
  17. Hutan

There's a trial in ClinicalTrials: NCT05181683
    COVID-19 Study Assessing the Safety and Tolerability of Co-Formulated Anti-Spike (S) SARS-CoV-2 Monoclonal Antibodies (Casirivimab+Imdevimab) in Adult Volunteers

It's a Phase 1 trial and it ran from 7 Jan 2022 to 3 Jun 2022. 45 people were enrolled. No results have been posted but its status is 'Completed'. It seems to be assessing the safety of injections and infusions of the antibody cocktail. The trial is being done by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals. Interestingly, it is being done run Florida, which of course is where Klimas and some of the other authors of this paper are.

The criteria for inclusion in the trial were people who were either healthy or with a stable chronic medical condition, and testing negative to Covid-19.

So, in Miami, giving a treatment for active SARS-CoV-2 infections to people who aren't testing positive to SARS-CoV-2 and who might have a chronic medical condition. That does look a bit curious, especially at a time when the treatment seems less relevant to current infections.

There are a couple of other Regeneron studies related to this treatment in ClinicalTrials, they are pediatric and targeting children with Covid-19, at risk or already with severe disease. They were both terminated due to 'Emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants impacting susceptivity to study drug'.

Kiwipom, Michelle, Trish and 3 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Three is a small number to be calling it confirmed. Though I agree that both degree of change and the close match in the patients' experience provides good support for it.

Excellent news, if the findings hold up, even if only for some.

How much, if any, prompting or rehabilitating did they require in returning to their pre-illness lives? Did they naturally do so of their own volition and management as soon as their bodies allowed them?

MEMarge, bobbler, Trish and 2 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

None, as far as I can tell. All cases read as having been self-driven return to prior activity and normal life, without any need for rehabilitation (as would seem to have been consistently reported for decades by ME patients who have recovered.)

MEMarge, MarcNotMark and Sean like this.
  20. Trish

Those descriptions of recovery sound very like my recovery from what was diagnosed as glandular fever which put me to bed for 6 months. I remember needing to crawl upstairs. I just recovered naturally and resumed normal activity and soon returned to normal fitness. No need for any therapy.

This sort of spontaneous recovery happens to a lot of people with glandular fever and is happening to some with Long Covid. I think we need to be wary about retrospective attribution of recovery to a specific treatment.