Response: Sharpe, Goldsmith and Chalder fail to restore confidence in the PACE trial findings

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point, @Sean.

Hutan, Simbindi, hinterland and 15 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a shameless liar.

Joel, Sean, Carolyn Wilshire and 12 others like this.
  3. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I said on the other thread, I think @Tom Kindlon and @Carolyn Wilshire ’s response is perfect. Thanks again to both of you.

I’ve shared the PACE authors’ admission with Tim Hartford (BBC More or Less) and David Colquhoun on Twitter. Can anyone think of anyone else it might be worth sharing with? I’m assuming it’s a waste of time trying to engage Ben Goldacre again but, as with dropping actigraphy, it is so blatant I can’t believe that it wouldn’t immediately ring alarm bells for anyone with any understanding of clinical trials.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1110877237413376000

Also shared @Graham ’s excellent PACE videos with Harford:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1110873748792582145

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Invisible Woman, Joel, Hutan and 25 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think they can, unless our whole scientific establishment is rotten to the core ... which I cannot imagine to be the case. The more they expose themselves in this way, the more they allow real scientists (and other people too with a degree of nous) to see them for what they are. That statement will probably go down in history as one of the most revealing. Not even a throwaway statement, but in a written rebuttal. They could not be leaving a clearer, more solid evidence trail if they tried. To me, the very fact they lack the critical thinking to appreciate they are doing this to themselves, itself supports the notion they lack the critical thinking to run clinical trials.

Invisible Woman, Joel, Lidia and 11 others like this.
  6. Barry

I had pondered this myself; felt need to be very cautious given there is so very much to learn with PACE, and the BBC have such a track record of going off half-cocked when it comes to getting under the skin of such things. Last thing you want is for something like More or Less to do a half-baked analysis, and then make some wiffley waffley proclamation that does more harm than good. But on the other hand, if they could be trusted to get it right ... that would be excellent.

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the rejoinder of the recovery reanalysis:

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe is apparently blocking everyone on Twitter that shares this article.

Invisible Woman, Alvin, Joel and 22 others like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]
    Baaaaahhhh!
    [​IMG]

Alvin, ukxmrv, andypants and 4 others like this.
  10. large donner

large donner Guest

[​IMG]
    Twice as many people are cured of cancer using reiki as opposed to homeopathy.

Under one analysis when we changed the recovery definition halfway through the trial from the original protocol it was 80% versus 40%.

Under the second anaylsis with the original protocol it was 2% versus 1%.

As you can see this is twice as much in both analysis. So that is the same fing.

We do prefer the first analysis cos it is more inline wif what other reiki and homeopathy people what did study the same things did say.

All objective measures was dropped and our analysis is the best cos the other analysis did not have access to all the data so they don't know what we do know.

Our trial is definitive cos after we changed the recovery definitions halfway through the trial and magically matched the results of other studies that were not definitive and gave us the justification to run this trial costing £5 millon.

This trial was really bootiful!!

Invisible Woman, Sean, inox and 18 others like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe/Chalder/Goldsmith made no real arguments in their paper (other than the point they got wrong about APT being excluded from the analyses) so this feels more like a flogging than a debate. It's pretty depressing how little this seems to matter.

Things have to be pretty rotten to have gotten to this point imo. UK science seems to really encourage and reward people who just suck up to authority.

12. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@large donner - Have you considered taking up the 'patient involvement' opportunity to 'co-produce' the Plain English summaries for NIHR and MRC research projects? :nerd::D

Lidia, Sean, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

15. large donner

large donner Guest

That's an interesting idea. I don't think its very difficult to summarise an opponent claiming to be scientific when in actual fact they operate via a parody of themselves and seem to have invented a new meme of "uncommon sense".

Sean, Barry, Keela Too and 1 other person like this.
  16. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh dear, I thought I shared the article, but not blocked yet... Obviously I need to share it again! ;)

Lisa108, Sly Saint, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must admit when I read about it that I briefly considered joining, and learning to drive, twitter, just so I could be blocked by him lol

But something else happened, or I forgot, or maybe I did so and I've forgotten about it.

Does anyone know? :rofl:

Invisible Woman, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  18. Barry

Sharpe science.

Invisible Woman and Sean like this.
  19. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe is behaving like he's in kindergarten.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He just wants to make sure people viewing his timeline don't see it.

Which is very telling. He knows the facts are against him and still continues to peddle his nonsense. They all know they're harming us and put their career ahead of the lives of millions. Reckless and irresponsible.