Rethinking the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome—A reanalysis and evaluation of findings from a recent major trial of graded exercise and CBT

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Carolyn Wilshire, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. But the Protocol is the Protocol is the Protocol. Its the binding promise about what you're going to do. Its fine to supply further details on specific aspects further down the line - like in a stats plan - but these can't override what was in the original protocol.

2. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is interesting. Yes, it does seem that the recovery definition was probably changed after the Lancet 20011 analyses were complete.

Yes, I think there's no concrete evidence to suggest the researchers played around with the recovery data first, and arrived at their new definition after seeing that the original one did not work out well for them.

But also, I think they would have seen the writing on the wall after their Lancet paper - that their original recovery definition would not have identified many cases.

I'm not sure it matters much either way. The justification for the change to the recovery definition was inadequate, and the long time delay from writing the protocol to making this change just makes it all the more problematic.

Am I missing your point here?

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I agree with this. My belief is that the overrode the protocol by getting the stats plan approved (and the stats plan doesn't discuss why changes were made). My guess is that they never got explicit approval for the protocol changes but their claims are based on approvals of the stats plan. We've been blocked from knowing what happened in the committees (a information tribunal decided to keep minutes private) so we will never know. But why else be so sensitive about them.

4. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think when they played around with the recovery data specifically actually matters here.

Once they had sight of the whole data, they would start looking at the ranges of baseline and outcomes, and change scores, and see at once from that that their protocol recovery definition wouldn’t cut it. It’s also apparent from the summary data presented in the Lancet paper. Such sight of the data would surely make the new recovery criteria post hoc? And I do think that this is an important, in addition to the lack of justification for the new criteria.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The evidence that the 'normal range' analyses were suggested by a reviewer of the Lancet paper is here, in a letter from White to Horton (Section 9, para 3):

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/whitereply.htm

On p. 831, at the bottom of column 1, it gives the % of patients in each group in the normal range for physical function and (separately) for fatigue.

BTW, there was a web-appendix to the paper - even if there wasn't room in the main paper for everything, it wouldn't have stopped them presenting all of their findings, as far as I can see. But I don't accept their idea that there was no room to add the crucial, hypothesis-destroying, 'There was no significant difference between groups in fitness as measured by a step-test at the end of the trial.' All of 21 words there.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And after other critical papers, like Wiborg, and FINE.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly akin to writing an exam paper and students then taking the exam ... only to then modify the exam paper (having already had some sight of the students' answers) and then mark the student's answers against that modified paper? Is that a valid analogy, or am I being a bit unfair here?

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite. They would not have needed to do the full-blown analysis to have a very good idea which way the wind was blowing.

9. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Were the participants of the PACE trial informed about the recovery criteria? If so, were they warned that the outcomes were changed mid-trial?

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and similarly did they tell the nearly 14% of participants that in fact they were recovered before
    they had been thro the trial?

11. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That neatly telling way of putting it might be worth pointing out to Carol Monaghan, for the Westminster Hall debate: it would make a good soundbite for MPs to hear.

12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are complexities to it though. It was only for one of the aspects of the recovery criteria (SF36-PF), so saying 14% were recovered before they had been through the trial is misleading. It's really important to try to avoid unfair or exaggerated criticisms, and that makes it difficult to come up with nice simple one sentence summaries.

13. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Esther12, I didn't realise there was a little poetic licence in the description! I agree scientific accuracy is important when it comes to making criticisms.

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2018-2-12_14-34-36.jpeg

DTs slide
    so not 14%, but 13% my mistake.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  15. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagine you are engineering something like a bridge. When the components are finished, you notice that there hairline cracks in the materials. Instead of saying that the bridge would be unsafe to make, and the assumptions behind the idea are wrong, you begin pointing out that the aesthetic qualities of the bridge are very nice, and it is a popular colour.

Maybe even 'a thing of beauty'. :p

16. Esther12

Thanks. Also important to note that's only on 'physical function', and not for the other three aspects of the recovery criteria used in the PACE Psychological Medicine paper on recovery. The Wilshire paper on this explains a lot of the details, but it's worth noting that it's not right that 13% of patients would have been classed as recovered at entry: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2017.1259724?journalCode=rftg20

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  17. Adrian

I think it was 13% would have met one of the criteria at entry (specifically the sf36 or CFQ ones). Clearly no one met the CGI ones as this is a 'how much better do you feel after the trial' or if you didn't tell them 'how much better did the assessor think you felt after the trial'

The Oxford criteria one is just strange the way they introduced the thresholds and they change quite a lot. I can't remember if there were non-oxford who were also able to meet the trial criteria at the end.

18. Esther12

They changed how they were defining Oxford, and at the end they were able to use it to ensure that no-one classed as recovered could have declined on everyoutcome from baseline (even ignoring self-rated CGI).

I've just noticed that @Tom Kindlon 's image file of the data for % of those within the 'normal range' for the SF36-PF and Chalder Fatgue Scale at baseline seems to be unavailable:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/tkindlon/media/bWVkaWFJZDo2NzkyNTgxMw==/?ref=

Wasn't it less than 1% who were within 'normal range' for both?

19. Adrian

Yes I think so. I think most were just on the sf36. But the CFQ is such a terrible questionnaire I think any trial using it shouldn't be taken seriously.

20. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)