1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Review: Squeezing for Life – Properties of Red Blood Cell Deformability, 2018, Huisjes et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2018.00656/full

alktipping, rvallee, merylg and 8 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our's would be an acquired altered RBC deformability, if applicable - I think (it could be genetic, but adult onset in some and childhood onset in others makes that proposition seem less likely).

This paper addresses hereditary hemolytic anemia. What about acquired hemolytic anemia, or diseases/infections that result in altered RBC deformability?

dangermouse likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I haven't got the time/energy to read further, but these parts looked to be of interest, to me at least.

alktipping, rvallee, merylg and 5 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"...ion handling..." A potential channelopathy reference again? Are we talking channelopathies as downstream effects, and abnormal RBC deformability simply further downstream? I know - way too speculative. Also, I always thought of channelopathies as the starting point, ie, genetic, usually, of all kinds of problems, not a mid-stream effect.

Amw66, alktipping, merylg and 3 others like this.