RNaseL

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by wastwater, Jul 16, 2019.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What happened to RNaseL it was mentioned as a potential bio marker in earlier work

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@wastwater, are you able to link to some of the research you refer to. My memory is not up to it!

wastwater, Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good question. Here in Belgium, De Meirleir was involved and made a diagnostic test about it. It was a big deal around 15 years ago. My guess is that somebody showed that these tests were unreliable, but I can't find the study that did that.

Here are some of the studies:

Suhadolnik et al. 1994. Upregulation of the 2-5A synthetase/RNase L antiviral pathway associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Suhadolnik et al. 1997. Biochemical evidence for a novel low molecular weight 2-5A-dependent RNase L in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Nijs & De Meirleir, 2005. Impairments of the 2-5A synthetase/RNase L pathway in chronic fatigue syndrome.

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is never safe to assume that with ME, Michiel :) Over the years things keep getting rediscovered and it is very frustrating. Researchers leave the field or retire and no one picks up their work.