SARS-CoV-2 infection and long COVID among California farmworkers, 2023, Mora et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Sep 17, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SARS-CoV-2 infection and long COVID among California farmworkers
    Ana M. Mora; Katherine Kogut; Nimrat K. Sandhu; Derry Ridgway; Chris M. Patty; Melissa Renteria; Norma Morga; Maria T. Rodriguez; Monica Romero; Jose M. Valdovinos; Alma Torres-Nguyen; Omar Guzman; Mario Martinez; Richard L. Doty; Ana Padilla; Edward Flores; Paul M. Brown; Brenda Eskenazi;

Purpose: The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to determine the prevalence of long COVID and identify its clinical manifestations among farmworkers in California.

Methods: We collected data on sociodemographic characteristics, anthropometrics, clinical chemistries and anti-SARS-CoV-2 immunoglobulin G antibodies, self-reported SARS-CoV-2 infection history, and standardized health tests and scales from 297 farmworkers in California between February and July 2022.

Results: Most participants were born in Mexico or Central America, had less than a high school diploma, and were overweight or obese. The prevalence of long COVID (defined as self-reported SARS-CoV-2 infection with symptoms >28 days) among farmworkers with a suspected or test-confirmed infection was 61.8%. Participants with long COVID had higher mean [95% CI] body mass index (32.9 [31.6-34.1]) and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels (4.8 [3.7, 6.0]) than those with no COVID-19 history (30.5 [29.3-31.7], and 3.3 [2.2, 4.3], respectively). Farmworkers with long COVID also reported greater fatigue, dyspnea, taste and smell problems, and overall poorer mental and physical health, than those with no COVID-19 history. Farmworkers with long COVID had increased odds of functional limitations compared to those with a self-reported SARS-CoV-2 infection with symptoms ≤28 days (OR [95% CI]: 7.46 [3.26, 17.09]).

Conclusions: A significant proportion of farmworkers experience long COVID with persistent symptoms that limit their ability to perform their work. A comprehensive approach that addresses the unique needs and challenges of farmworkers is warranted given this population’s high prevalence of long COVID and the essential nature of their work.

Link | PDF (The Journal of Rural Health)

rvallee, Trish, Kalliope and 3 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

It's a medical trope that when a farmer seeks medical attention, things must be really bad. See The Farmer Pain Scale on YouTube.

3. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMG thank you for this link! I've spent the last half hour watching his videos and haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Laughed so hard it triggered a hot flash--though, to be fair, it IS the hot flash hour so...

ETA: Okay, it's now been TWO HOURS of watching his videos. After my experience with a neurologist, his neurologist videos had me laughing so hard I'm crying. Again, cheers!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  4. SNT Gatchaman

I'm so pleased. He's amazing - though probably his wife is more amazing. See my earlier post (from when I had just joined S4ME).