School sends home sick asthmatic 5y/o, then bans him from Xmas party for ‘poor attendance’

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Obviously not directly about ME but I'm sure it talks about many issues that parents of children with ME face.
    https://evolvepolitics.com/teachers...-ban-him-from-xmas-party-for-poor-attendance/

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know how many days of school there are in a year but 98% is probably higher then the sick days most countries allow employees.
    Secondly this reminds me of a job i once worked, you had to have 98%+ uptime, which means if you went to the washroom more then once per shift or spent more then a few minutes during that one visit you were screwed.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Reading this I did actually think that this seemed very similar to the indoctrination that we all receive as adults about work attendance i.e. our welfare isn't important, only attendance at work is.

4. Alvin

Pretty much, many employers don't have much regard for their employees. The bigger the organization the less regard in my experience. I think its a good policy to demonstrate failure though, if kids come to school with contagious conditions then all the kids will get sick more often, the average attendance will actually fall. But forcing kids to function while sick is not very ethical

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rewarding 100% attendance means that people come into work/school when they are ill with infectious illnesses, spreading those illnesses to others. Why is this deemed praiseworthy behaviour, when say, antivaxxers are shunned? Both lead to the spread of infectious disease.

6. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This disgusts me completely. Even if this child had been absent without ever having been sick his attendance at school is not under his own control.to To ban any child is ludicrous. To punish a sick child in this way is beyond comprehension.people. people with such low levels of basic compassion and understanding should not be involved in the care of children in any way.I hope heads will roll.

7. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Why are these people allowed to be working in schools?

How could someone sane consider that to be educational in any way?

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's kicking sick children when they're down. My daughter's school are generally ok now but it took a while, and some teachers are just stubbornly stupid about it.

9. Alvin

Policies are often invented from the top down, if it seems like a good idea on paper its adopted. Real life and practicality takes a back seat to "good" ideas.

10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I worked for a company that rewarded 100% attendance with a year end bonus . At year end, they printed up a list of all the employees with 100% for everyone to see. Management (family company) had absolutely no tact.

11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attendance is reinforced like this because it is one of the parameters schools are " judged" on. It is a trigger for social services involvement too.

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely this would further decrease the child's attendance, as school xmas parties tend to be at school.

I'd suggest the child sues, as they are being discriminated against and sanctioned for things the child has no control over, as well as affecting the child's chance at getting into Oxbridge.

Or...possibly it's simply an attempt by educators to teach children some of the more important lessons in life, that life isn't fair and that the world is full of jobsworths and other forms of heads