1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Science for ME PACE Briefing document

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Science For ME, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

andypants, Inara, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Quoting this here so that the typo can be addressed.

3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, Andy.

Thought the typo had been addressed before and been corrected, and only the URL was to the old version, but now it seems somehow it slipped in again (or rather the "p" slipped out again).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think the latest versions have been corrected. Both the uploaded one and the URL:
    https://www.s4me.info/docs/PaceBriefing3.pdf

5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent, thanks again to all concerned, clearly explained.

"If these weak and null results had been published in 2011, it seems likely that NICE would have withdrawn its recommendation of the use of CBT and GET for ME/CFS."

Yes, and how many people have been harmed by CBT/GET in these 7 years and counting?

And how many people have been denied benefits, insurance payments in these 7 years?

PACE authors/QMUL bear responsibility for this.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David Tuller has said in this post that the reference to "a number of universities" is inaccurate. See this post from him :

https://www.s4me.info/threads/watt-from-mrc-defends-pace-in-letter-to-times.5491/page-4#post-99372

Barry, Invisible Woman, Andy and 3 others like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Tuller just said that he only knew of one.

I've got nothing to cite on this, but informally I've heard about PACE being used as a case study for poor research in the UK.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://microbeminded.com/2017/12/07...-vagus-nerve-mecfs-latent-infection-and-more/

ETA: That is where ref 35 of the briefing document points to.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to clarify slightly, I think I said that I only knew of Berkeley. I didn't exclude that it was being used elsewhere, just that I didn't know about it. So I wanted to make sure that if the statement was going to be used, it was not being based on something someone thought I'd said.

Inara, Sly Saint, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Presumably @Brian Hughes also uses as a bad case study as part of teaching so that would be another Uni in yet another country too?

Barry, MEMarge, Inara and 4 others like this.
  12. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for picking up on this. However, I am taking a break with my pseudoscience/health class at the moment, and so technically I have not used PACE as a case study thus far. (Hopefully 'Psychology in Crisis' will be recommended in Ireland/UK universities soon, at which point it can then be said to be presented to students more widely...)

MEMarge, Inara, andypants and 11 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    EzzieD, Barry, ukxmrv and 21 others like this.
  14. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:I will be letting my MP know about this via his senior adviser. . Plus I will be giving the briefing notes too. Then keep my fingers crossed

rvallee, MEMarge, andypants and 3 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just a random thought, is it worth attempting to pull a document together that address the flaws in the Cochrane review, in the same way that this document addresses those in the PACE trial?

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we need to. Mark Vink has already done it very effectively and had it published.
    Paper here
    Thread here

17. Esther12

From what I remember the Vink paper looked at quite different issues to the ones raised by Courtney in his Cochrane comments. It could be valuable to have a collection of all the strongest criticism summarised in one place.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Good enough for me, no point doing more work than is necessary. :)

Unable, ladycatlover, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think once a new version is published in May (Ok I don't really believe that will happen) then it may be worth some people getting together to write a detailed commentary on what is there, what has changed and also what the likely impression is it will give readers (e.g. concentrating on things like the plain language summary which may not reflect all the issues). Also a briefing document may be good then looking at the history so that a simple story with links to evidence is available to people like MPs to show how Cochrane has failed (and will likely fail again!),

20. Esther12

I wonder if something before then might be helpful for applying pressure to make sure that the problems with what has happened are properly acknowledged?

I don't know, and I realise there are millions of things to respond to (the HRA letter, PACE 'FAQ's, etc), but reckon there's some value in a lot of potential projects if we had an army of people able to focus on doing that work.