1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scientists Hate the NIH's New Rules for Experimenting on Humans

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by TrixieStix, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.wired.com/story/scienti...nting-on-humans/amp?__twitter_impression=true

"This week, after almost a decade of work, some new rules go into effect for researchers funded by NIH. If they’re using human beings in their experiments, most of them now have to register their methodologies on a government-built website, clinicaltrials.gov.

They have to promise to share whatever they find, even if they don’t prove what they hoped—especially if they don’t prove it. They have to get trained up in modern clinical practices."

Allele, MErmaid, Webdog and 16 others like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh how they need this in the UK.

Jan, Wonko, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks like an excellent plan to require preregistration of all clinical trials including approved protocols for outcome measures and shared data. And all trials funded having to lodge their outcome data, even if they don't get published.

But it seems to have hit a snag with defining what is a clinical trial, and ending up including basic science as well. I'm not clear whether they have sorted out the distinction between basic science and clinical trial to the satisfaction of the scientists.

It seems to me that everyone who gets government funding for medical research in any country should have to publish their protocol, stick to it, and publish their data, whether it's a clinical trial or basic science. I'd extend that to pharmaceutical company, charity or privately funded research too.

Jan, Webdog, Samuel and 8 others like this.
  4. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do scientists really hate that question of scientists should be pleased to come to any firm conclusion whether something is approved or disapproved. Either way it adds the scientific knowledge and that’s a success. Success in science doesn’t mean something happy :) and candy coated, it means weblearn something about nature, and Nature is usually cruel.

5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good idea, but its all in the execution. Just because scientists don't like it doesn't mean its bad, but if it is red tape and inconsistent criteria then they need to fix that.
    Though I'm most impressed they made this kind of procedural improvement without there being a tragedy involved

Luther Blissett, hixxy and Wonko like this.
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Luther Blissett likes this.