1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously craving nuts to eat - why?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by ukxmrv, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A question for anyone with an interest in nutrition please

Around 3 weeks ago and totally out of the blue I started to crave nuts to eat - cashew, brazil in particular, walnuts, pistachio, hazel, pecan, pine, macadamia etc. Everything apart from peanuts.

I've not been able to eat nuts reliably for 10+ years as it starts off terrible stomach pain and then explosive diarrhea (sorry if TMI). Other high fiber foods cause the same stomach problems and I'm not craving anything else.

So, I've started cautiously eating them again. Can manage very small quantities before the stomach cramps set in. Thought it might be a disguised salt craving as I have POTS but it seems not. Unsalted fine.

There's been a change into Autumn here in the UK but I swear I am not a squirrel. Not craving more food in general - just nuts!

The craving starts each day late morning or the afternoon. It's gone by dinner time. It's very intense as I can feel the nuts in the mouth, I produce saliva and my stomach rumbles. I want to binge on them and having a meal like lunch doesn't make any difference.

Somethings I have cravings for oily fish. Have't had that too badly recently. Had salmon last night but today have the terrible craving for nuts. There are none in the house right now. Ate the remainder of the pine nuts (for cooking normally) yesterday.

Any ideas welcome!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Magnesium craving? They are a high calorie food so you might be craving energy!

I’ve sometimes eaten a load of nuts but I assumed it was a salt thing (also potsie).

Luther Blissett and ukxmrv like this.
  3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arginine may also be something your body is signalling for, and healthy fats.

Luther Blissett, Mij and ukxmrv like this.
  4. Justy

Justy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If its Brazils especially, then maybe selenium is needed?

Luther Blissett and ukxmrv like this.
  5. Kafka

Kafka Established Member (Voting Rights)

I just had a two day binge on cashew nuts and chocolate. Stopped my nightly foot cramps - away from home and off my regular diet - deduced it was magnesium deficiency.

Back home, upped my magnesium intake and all is good again.

I didn't understand why I was craving the cashews - I ate them in replacement of dinner two nights in a row and had no foot cramps - so put it together.

Realize this is my first post here - will do intro soon... hello all :)

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ukxmrv I crave sardines and nuts. I have been below/low in magnesium and omega 3 through tests.

I supplement with both, but I think I need more than the average person.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't no much about anything, but just wanted you to know that I've had a lessening of stomach cramps after making a conscious effort to eat soluble fiber with meals/snacks, and when it is at it's worse, starting with soluble fiber on an empty stomach, as it is less likely to trigger gastrocolic spasms. (At least in most people)

Soluble fiber is less likely to cause stomach problems than insoluble fiber, as it promotes a more gel like consistency in transit. (I believe that this is a fact, but not sure)

If you don't already do this, it might help you with the cramps, it might not.

Hope you find some relief.

ukxmrv likes this.
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless your complete DNA has been sequenced and compared to the average squirrel you can't be 100% sure of this. :emoji_chipmunk: