Severe difficulties with eating in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Jonathan Edwards, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not suggesting we call it a psychosis. The eating disorders due to hypothalamic tumour damage are not psychoses. They are all eating disorders in that it is impossible to eat effectively unaided. And I think the working hypothesis has to be that in ME it is driven by a brain problem.

FMMM1, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my view it still needs to be clarified what is actually happening in these cases. Is it weakness of the muscles involved in swallowing, does the exertion of eating trigger PEM, is it feeling sick when food is in the stomach?

Best to describe the problem as what it is.

lycaena, Lilas, lunarainbows and 9 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

It is all physical problems. That is the position of the 'biomedical approach'. Everything works through physical mechanisms whether or not there are mental correlates. The distinction is unhelpful. The BPS people believe that mental and physical causes interact, which means they think they are of different nature. This is something that medicine should have abandoned. Even Descartes did not intend it to be thought of like that.

We need to get people out of thinking in terms of this BPS dichotomy.

And if the brain is affecting the gut via the vagus this is entirely physical.

I would not lay an ounce of blame on patients here. What concerns me is that two groups of health professionals are confusing patients by giving them different stories. The stories from Dr Speight and Dr Weir are problematic in that they endorse the BPS dichotomy. The stories from he other side are worse in that they assume that psychotherapy will deal with a problem that can only be dealt with by feeding through an effective route.

Ariel, FMMM1, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

I have no idea what dysautonomia means and previous discussions here indicate that there are several conflicting views. Dysautonomia is another of those buzzwords used by physicians who want to sound clever to patients but do not themselves really understand.

Moreover, whatever is understood by dysautonomia, the brain telling the gut to reject food via the vagus would not be that. The autonomic system would be doing its job effectively.

Ariel, FMMM1, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It would be good to hear why you favour this theory. Do you want a thread started to discuss it?

Ariel, Lilas, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

I disagree, Trish, purely on the grounds that somehow we have to get health care professionals to come to a consensus understanding of the reality of what is going on and what is needed. That may involve giving some ground.

It reminds me of the discussions we had long ago about what would happen if we scrapped GET and CBT - would the entire ME service disappear and everyone be worse off. It is all about finding a way of taking about this that is consistent with not just continuing but improving the service. And for this eating issue it is absolutely vital that we get it right.

It looks to me as if the gastroenterologists have decided that people with ME have eating problems driven by their brains and I think they are probably right. Where they are wrong is in thinking that a psychologist might have a clue what to do about it. I think all this needs to be laid out in the open.

FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Jonathan Edwards

It doesn't need a thread. The vagus provides the neural control for the gut - input and output. The hypothalamus controls nausea. Unless the gut is actually blocked by a stricture, which has never been reported as far as I know, this is about all there is.

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  9. Hutan

Believing that you can't or shouldn't eat, when there is no functional problem seems to fit the definition of a psychosis. It is a loaded word, so yes, probably best avoided, but I did find the medication-induced psychosis a helpful analogy.

I've probably missed this, but what are Drs Speight and Weir saying?

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Do gastroenterologists always refer for psychiatric assessment and/or treatment when people have eating disorders, regardless of cause?

Or do they put their patients with eating disorders into two baskets - the psych ones and the physical ones?

And if so, do they refer the psych ones to psychs and refuse to do any pragmatic feeding methods with them, and treat the ones with known neurological or gastro damage/disease pragmatically from the start?

What we clearly need is a way to convey to gastroenterologists and dieticians and psychs that pwME should be in the category that gets pragmatic feeding assistance from the start, and not be assumed to be psych cases.

livinglighter, Ariel, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  11. Hutan

I agree. I'm not sure that there is necessarily a change in appetite. When I got post-prandial pain, it had no effect on my appetite. I remember reading posts from people with ME/CFS who wanted to eat, but reported suffering very badly when they did.

But, presumably things can affect muscles, making the transit of food through the intestines very slow, or producing a sensation of throat tightening? Things can affect water extraction in the gut, resulting in constipation or diarrhoea. Nausea can be caused by irritation of the nerves in the stomach or gut, that actually tells the brain there is a problem.

Do you believe that ME/CFS in general is caused by problems with the hypothalamus and vagus nerve?

12. Jonathan Edwards

Psychosis implies a belief that is outside what can reasonably be considered an imbalanced version of normal beliefs and reasons. So believing that you can't eat or shouldn't eat based on some misunderstanding of what is going on is not psychosis. In my wife's case her beliefs had bizarre contradictions and were expressed in ways that made it clear that her brain was malfunctioning - a bit like in a nightmare.

And I'm not suggesting that there is no functional or physical problem in ME. I am quite sure that people with ME who cannot eat cannot eat. They vomit and feel terrible or simply cannot swallow the food. I am familiar with those problems myself when I have been ill. It is a bit like insomnia - you cannot go to sleep.

13. Jonathan Edwards

They emphasise that the cause of inability to eat is physical, contrasting it with psychological.

FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Trish

I'm a bit puzzled that you are saying we should avoid trying to give explanations of why pwME have eating and nutrition problems, and instead keep the focus on ensuring a pragmatic approach. Yet you put forward your theories about what is happening. Is that any different from attributing the probems to other favoured theories such as dysautonomia or gastroparesis or muscle weakness?

There needs to be investigation of what is causing the problem in each case as it will surely affect which treatment approach is tried first. So someone with inability to swallow is likely to need a different approach than someone who reacts badly to specific foods, or has severe nausea or stomach pain. Though I am talking about symptoms here, rather than the cause of those symptoms, so I guess that's still the pragmatic approach.

livinglighter, Sarah94, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

It is worth reading the stuff cited above in the thread

"One author of the BSG’s guideline on functional dyspepsia, Dr Peter Paine (from the Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust), wrote about ME/CFS as a central sensitization disorder that should require removal of tube feeding and rehab, in a BMJ Frontline Gastroenterology article entitled “Jejunal feeding: when is it the right thing to do?” (2019):"

It is clear that they hive off cases for psychological intervention despite low quality or very low quality evidence.

What I think is important in amongst these documents is the way these patients are grouped under cases that have multiple stories like EDS, mast cell activation, POTS etc. I am pretty sure that the gastroenterologists are specifically antagonised by these lists of diagnoses, and not without reason since they are often unfounded.

FMMM1, RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could explain why I experience bowel movements slowing or stopping outright while in PEM.

17. Trish

Thanks for the reminder. I did glance at them, but couldn't face more. I'm lying here in bed with stomach pain after eating a small breakfast, and also have an ongoing worry that I'm not able to ensure my sick daughter eats a very healthy diet, so it's all getting a bit much. I need to step away from this thread.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, all through the vagus nerve, which operates according the instructions of the hypothalamus. We have no evidence for anything being primarily wrong in the gut. It is hard to believe that there are enough different things primarily wrong in the gut to make eating impossible. If the problem is mediated through the vagus under the control of the hypothalamus then all sorts of different things come under the one explanation. There is almost certainly a basic mechanism for emptying the gut through all possible means via the vagus. It is what we get when we have a viral infection.

19. Jonathan Edwards

I suspect they mediate much of the symptomatology but then the question is what is upsetting the hypothalamus and vagus, which may be immunological.

Ariel, FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Families fear ME patients will die in hospital care" by Kat Lay, Health Editor

In the print copy of the Times today is an article headed as above, 2 columns with small photos of the women at risk currently. There is a reference to one being in the hospital where Maeve O'Neill died. The circumstances of Sami Berry's illness are fairly fully described. It is recorded that she has EDS, epilepsy and severe ME.

William Weir is quoted " There's now a lot of scientific evidence which supports the proposition that this condition has a primary physical, pathological base."

livinglighter, Ariel, Lilas and 3 others like this.