Trial Report Sijunzi decoction...improves fatigue symptoms with changes in gut microbiota in CFS: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled etc., 2024, Dai

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711324002952

Phytomedicine

Available online 13 April 2024, 155636

Original Article
    Sijunzi decoction, a classical Chinese herbal formula, improves fatigue symptoms with changes in gut microbiota in chronic fatigue syndrome: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center clinical trial

Liang Dai et al.
    Institute of Digestive Disease, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai, 200032, China
    State Key Laboratory of Integration and Innovation of Classic Formula and Modern Chinese Medicine
    Shanghai Sixth People's Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 200233, China
    Jiangyin Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jiangyin, 214413, China
    Clinical Research Academy, Peking University Shenzhen Hospital, Peking University, Shenzhen, 518036, China
    Shanghai Changning Tianshan Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai, 200051, China

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2024.155636

ABSTRACT

Backgroud
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) severely impact patients’ quality of life and lacks well-acknowledged drug therapy. Sijunzi decoction (SJZD), a classical Chinese herbal formula, has been widely used for spleen deficiency syndrome like fatigue in China. However, there is a lack of evidence on the effectiveness of SJZD in treating CFS.

Purpose
    To evaluate the efficacy and safety of SJZD for CFS.

Study Design
    A multicenter, double-blinded, randomized controlled trial.

Methods
    Participants with definite diagnoses of CFS and spleen deficiency syndrome were randomly assigned in 1:1 ratio to receive SJZD or placebo granules for 2 months. The primary outcome was the change of Chalder fatigue questionnaire (CFQ) scoring after treatment. Other outcomes included changes in short form-36 physical function (SF36-PF) score, spleen deficiency scale score, Euroqol Questionnaire-Visual Analogue Scale (ED-VAS) score, and clinical global impression (CGI) evaluating by corresponding questionnaires. Fecal metagenome sequencing was conducted to explore the potential mechanism of SJZD effect.

Results
    From June 2020 to July 2021, 105 of 127 participants completed the study at four hospitals in China. After a 2-month treatment, intention-to-treat (ITT) analysis found participants who received SJZD had larger reduction than placebo control (mean change 6.65 [standard deviation (SD) 6.11] points vs. 5.31 [SD 5.19] points; difference 1.34, 95% confidence interval [CI] -0.65 to 3.33). Per-protocol (PP) analysis reported confirmative results with a significant difference between SJZD and placebo group (2.24, 95% CI 0.10 to 4.39). SJZD also significantly improved overall health status compared with placebo in per-protocol population (p = 0.009). No significant difference was found between groups in changes of SF36-PF, spleen deficiency scale scoring, and CGI. Fecal metagenome sequencing and correlation analyses indicated that the beneficial effect of SJZD may be related to the abundance change of Pediococcus acidilactici. No serious adverse event or abnormal laboratory test was found during the whole study.

Conclusion
    Our results indicated that SJZD can improve fatigue symptom and overall health status in patients with CFS under good medication adherence. Potential therapeutic effects may be related to the regulation of gut microbiota. Large-scale trials with longer intervention period are encouraged to further support SJZD's application.

Clinical trial registration
    (ID, ISRCTN23930966, URL = https://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN23930966).

Graphical Abstract

Hutan likes this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to look this up to see if this meant a claim that eg anyone post splenectomy would have "chronic fatigue". From the introduction in Integrative metabolic and microbial profiling on patients with Spleen-yang-deficiency syndrome (2018, Nature Scientific Reports) —

Hutan, Sean and shak8 like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The productivity issues of Long Covid are noted
    A perspective on CFS treatment approaches in China

Re the Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire and the suggestion that 11 is the lowest score:

Scoring schemes for the Chalder Fatigue Scale = 11 question Likert form

Less than usual 0
    No more than usual 1
    More than usual 2
    Much more than usual 3

MEPedia has this commentary:
    As is suggested by MEPedia - for the participants in the MS trial who reported a score of less than 10, it seems likely that the participants in the SJZD trial baselines changed when they answered the CFQ the second time.

So, the first time, the participants might answer relative to their healthy baseline e.g. recording '2' - my fatigue level is more than is usual
    The second time, the participants might answer relative to the baseline at the beginning of the trial - e.g. recording '1' - my fatigue is no more than usual/ no more than it was when the researchers last asked me, before the treatment
    That is one of the major flaws* with the CFQ - no real change in fatigue can result in an apparent improvement after treatment.

*or joys - if you are trying to prove an ineffective treatment is effective. There are reasons why the CFQ is so favoured by researchers running trials of treatments.

Throw in a translation problem, and this variable baseline problem could easily result in scores of less than 11.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm always interested in how other cultures have described and categorised post-infection syndromes.
    It's actually not that far away from ME/CFS definitions. I've seen descriptions of ME/CFS that sound less like my conception of the disease than that SDS description. I'd be interested to see more detailed descriptions of SDS.

And, I'm not ruling out the possibility that some cultures may have found a remedy that does help post-infection fatigue syndromes.

Atractylodes is a type of daisy. Poria is a mushroom. All of those ingredients have pharmacoactive compounds.

But, I don't think we have seen a convincing TCM ME/CFS paper yet. The difference between the active and placebo groups here is small, if there is any difference at all. No difference on the SF-36 PF suggests that any actual benefit is so small that it's essentially irrelevant.

Sean and Mij like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You've missed out the 'S' at the beginning of the title.

Hutan and Dolphin like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Fixed.

Hutan, MeSci and Dolphin like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Chinese medicine Si-Jun-Zi Decoction is a famous herbal formula composed of four Chinese herbs: Ginseng Root, Atractylodes macrocephala, licorice root, and Poria root.

Ginseng made me feel very jittery and brought on insomnia years ago. It took me a while to figure out why my sleep changed when I sleeping well back then.

Also, pwME took licorice root (DGL) rec'd for GERD, but it shouldn't be taken in large amounts b/c it can raise blood levels of aldosterone.

Hutan likes this.