Simon Wessely Research & Related Quotes

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Valentijn, Nov 30, 2017.

1. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find this posted. Not sure if here is the best place to put it?

It says you can read it for free but sign in is required.

Chronic fatigue syndrome: a 20th century illness?

Wessely, Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 1995 (1997)

Abstract (spacing added for easier reading);

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40966699?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No matter where you stand this is at best disingenous at worst .... well.

The term Myalgic encephalomyelitis was brought in to describe an epidemic disease which had occurred in many countries going back to the 1930's. It had nothing to do with "fatigue states" any more than measles did. The cause may not have been pinned down by the crude biological tests of the day (not unusual) but it was recognised when it occurred.

By the mid eighties there was discussion of whether epstein barr led to the same disease, he is almost right about that though this was the time when it was realised that ME as seen in the epidemics happened sporadically as well.

Despite SW and Elaine Showalter's book and talk show circus promoting it, the only association with the millenium or fin de siècle is that people with ME lived through it like everyone else in the world.

Self serving distortions of the truth disgust me.

RedFox, MEMarge, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not even sure what would be the point here. Most illnesses are "20th century" in the sense that before then we did not understand enough to know about most. Modern medicine pretty much began in the early 20th century, before then medicine did way more harm than good (BTW, watch The Knick, a series on that and it's amazing). That silly argument makes no sense whatsoever and anyway the foundations of his preferred somatization model pretty much established themselves in the early 20th century so, uh, "Somatization: a 20th century illness?". Actually, yeah.

By that logic, all genetic diseases should be considered icky because, well, "20th century". That's bad now. Simon says so.

Wessely's career could almost be mistaken for advanced performance art, maximally trolling with nonsense and almost aggressive willful ignorance as a test of what one can get away with, except the system embraced the ideas instead and now the performance art has become harmful ideology.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In his 1997 book chapter 15.5 is entitled CFS is a twentieth-century disease.

Whereas chapter 15.6 is entitled CFS is not a twentieth-century disease.

5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurasthenia was seen as a disease caused by the weakening effects of living in an industrialised society. The "back to nature" ideas of the early 20th century were a response to this. Walking holidays and such like were very popular.

Despite industry closing down in most places the idea obviously lives on.

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  7. rvallee

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368497121561878529

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  8. rvallee

Copied post

Got a few with their sources.

I guess it could be fair to say that they said it's behavioral, rather than psychological, but to me that's a distinction without a difference. I don't buy that they genuinely think it's relevant, or they wouldn't have spent this much energy inventing a concept completely detached from them.

There are plenty of quotes that openly mock the role of infectious triggers, as merely something that triggers our obsessive behavior. We've seen it again with Long Covid being blamed on lockdowns and trauma instead of, you know, the freaking virus almost everyone has had multiple times. These people just know not to say the quiet part loud in public, but I have zero doubt that to them, it is "all in the mind" and purely psychological.

I don't see the point in giving them credit when they more than earned never deserving the benefit of the doubt. Tobacco executives never slipped in saying that they knew their product was deadly, but in private correspondance of course they knew. And of course what people do matters far more than what they say.

wessely-description-of-me.jpg wessely-me-fake-illness-2.jpg wessely-me-fake-illness-7.jpg yuppie-flu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2024
    EzzieD, Sean and alktipping like this.
  9. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Searching for a quote on the recovery treshold in PACE I only retrieved this similar quote:

1. Anyone happened to save an image of the quote?

2. Does anyone have an idea what other quote I'm looking for and can add it here? If I recall correctly, someone did a transcript of an interview, including noticing that the audience laughed at SW's explanation.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    alktipping likes this.
  10. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure I understand your questions. The images of the quotes are in the tweets, including the references to the audience laughing.

Images of transcripts from Tweets:

IMG_1533.jpeg IMG_1534.jpeg IMG_1535.jpeg

EzzieD, MSEsperanza and Yann04 like this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, Thanks. Couldn't see the tweets and don't know why I thought it referred to something different.

So it's that: S. Wessely, Standing up for Science panel discussion, March 2017, tweet by Janet Eastham.

Now that I could see the one tweet to which you posted the link I searched the forum for the journalist Janet Eastham and found another post citing her transcript and others of Wessely's related outputs:

Esther12 said:
    Esther12 said:

Indeed. Plus, it was not necessary to have analyzed data but was sufficient just to have had a look at some data in order to become afraid that some of the gathered data might not show what they were supposed to show.

While Wessely's language is too obviously self-revealing:

large donner said:
    obeat said:
    Yep. If he had said "comparable", but no, "congruent"....

And then, in plainest language...

---

*(1) S. Wessely, Sept 23, 2016 at 7:13 am, comment on J. Rehmeyer:
    Bad science misled millions with chronic fatigue syndrome. Here’s how we fought back, Sept 21, 2016, https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-pace-trial/comment-page-6/#comment-56390
    , posted by @large donner

*(2) S. Wessely, Standing up for Science panel discussion, March 2017, tweet by Janet Eastham, posted by @Sly Saint / @Barry / @Robert 1973, tweet here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/indep...ed-by-hilda-bastian.13645/page-78#post-362451 / images of transcripts here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/simon-wessely-research-related-quotes.1304/page-4#post-534498

Edited to add link to Robert's post as link to Barry's post doesn't work anymore.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    Sean, Deanne NZ, alktipping and 4 others like this.