1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple qigong routine for flexibility

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by perchance dreamer, Jul 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have lost a lot of flexibility over the years from osteoarthritis and various injuries. I love this 10-minute standing qigong routine on youtube. Qigong is slow and flowing and doesn't aggravate my existing pain.

After doing this qigong for a couple of weeks, I'm more flexible and have increased range of motion. I think it has also enabled me to resume swimming.

It used to be that swimming, no matter how slow and easy, would give me pain afterwards for days. Now I can tolerate it much better because I'm more flexible, I think.

Here's the youtube video. She also has a seated qigong routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLnT25Q9tSU

JemPD, DokaGirl, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  2. perchance dreamer

I just recently noticed that my streaming menu has a youtube icon. I find it easiest to follow this routine from my TV. I didn't know you could stream youtube. Everyone else probably did.

DokaGirl, Amw66 and Starlight like this.
  3. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@perchance dreamer Thanks for this video. Do you have a link for the seated routine you mentioned?

hellytheelephant likes this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Perchance dreamer, do you find you need to cut out some other daily activity in order to do this while no exceeding your energy limits? Just that amount of standing in sitting exercises would tip me into PEM.

6. perchance dreamer

@Trish, I can exercise just fine from an energy prospective, so do some form about 5 times a week. Most of my problems with exercise are from fibromyalgia and injuries from past falls, which can cause problems with certain exercises. Yoga can hurt because of the prolonged positions, but I find qigong easier on my body because you stay in a slow motion.

Something I like about these videos, as opposed to going to a class, is that you don't have to do all the reps if you're not able. Also, one of the exercises calls for rising up on your feet, and that's too painful for me, so I do the exercise minus the foot part. Some people love exercise classes, but I feel self conscious if I can't do everything or keep up.

This is off topic, but once, when my sister and I were in Mississippi to help my parents out, sis went to a yoga class. It was very crowded, and the leader wore barked out instructions as if she were leading a jazzercise or zumba class. It was very fast paced, which seems very un-yoga like.

With the qigong, my chest feels less constricted now, and it's easier for me to get into the hot tub, which requires full knee extension. My knees are generally less stiff and painful.

There's another young woman who has youtube qigong videos for beginners, but I found her too perky. I may try one of of her videos with the sound muted.

TigerLilea, Trish, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  7. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TigerLilea and Trish like this.