1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

SITN: Long COVID: The latest in a series of unexplained post-acute infectious syndromes?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Kalliope, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Science in the News - HARVARD Kenneth C. Griffin
    Blog by Ya'el Courtney

Quote:

The first well-documented observation of PAIS was Post-Polio Syndromein the 1870s, where people developed muscular degeneration and weakness 15-40 years after infection with poliomyelitis. Since then, PAIS has been noted after infection by many viruses – from influenza to the common cold to Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) (also known as ‘mono’ or glandular fever).

It was not until the 1980s that doctors began to recognize similar chronic conditions as serious medical problems, and a new diagnosis was born: myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, or ME/CFS. However, attempts to identify a single infectious agent as the cause of ME/CFS have been unsuccessful, complicating efforts to find a cure.

This brings us to a compelling proposition: could ME/CFS be more accurately described as a spectrum of post-acute infectious syndromes? This perspective suggests that various infectious agents could trigger a prolonged, systemic response, manifesting in remarkably consistent symptoms across different cases.

The COVID-19 pandemic has provided a unique opportunity to explore this hypothesis, as the similarities between long COVID and ME/CFS are striking.

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/...-unexplained-post-acute-infectious-syndromes/

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think this is a fairly good, though superficial and uncritical, summary of what is known and not known based on a few of the main US sources of information, NIH, CDC, Mayo clinic.
    It's written by a PhD student.

Sean, Amw66, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like it, its a good overview. Gone are the days of struggling to have anyone believe you when you say you have a recurring virus.

Starlight, Amw66 and Kalliope like this.