1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep meds poll

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Sarah94, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Do you (or your loved one who has ME) take any of the following medications to help with sleep?

1. Amitryptiline or nortriptyline

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Trazodone

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Zopiclone or zolpidem (ambien)

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Diphenhydramine (Nytol, Benadryl), hydroxyzine, promethazine (Phenergan), or other antihistamine

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Mirtazapine

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. Prescription melatonin

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Other medication not listed here

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. I would like to take sleep medication but can't get my doctor to prescribe it

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. I don't take sleep meds and don't wish to

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  10. I don't take any sleep meds because I tried them and had bad side effects

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  11. Sodium oxybate (Xyrem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Benzodiazepines (E.g. clonazepam, lorazepam)

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  13. Agomelatine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Tiagabine

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  15. Belsomra, or other orexin antagonist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the same problem of depression with melatonin when I first tried it, about 8 - 10 years ago. I bought some 3mg pills but found that gave me a thumping headache so I started cutting them up into smaller chunks. But although the smaller dose reduced the headache problem a bit it didn't solve the depression issue. I could take melatonin once without too much difficulty, but then a second dose taken within a week or two of the first dose would make me feel suicidal. So it became something I used only in emergencies when I absolutely had to be compos mentis the next day. Then I wouldn't/couldn't use it for at least a month after that.

I ended up giving it up altogether for several years because I felt it was actually dangerous for me. But during those years I fixed lots of my low levels of nutrients, changed my diet to include more fat and protein, started taking thyroid hormones for hypothyroidism. And now I can take melatonin without headaches and without getting depressed. I have absolutely no idea what caused the change in my reaction out of all the things I did though. I still only use melatonin rarely, but I can take it a lot more often than I used to. I now manage to take it once or twice a week and have no major after effects.

My husband is not ill in the way that people on this forum are ill. He tried melatonin a few years ago, and he was hit with severe depression completely out of the blue the following day like I was, so he won't take it either. He is someone who almost never gets depressed.

TigerLilea, MeSci and Invisible Woman like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The sore lungs aside, I nearly always feel absolutely dreadful when I wake up, worse than when I went to sleep to begin with and even if it's just a nap. It's ironic, I need to sleep when I need to sleep to stop symptoms getting worse but sleep itself temporarily makes me feel worse. At times temporary can mean hours. This is one of the reasons why making sure I get sufficient rest isn't a nice, easy & passive thing because sometimes I dread the waking up - not because I'm depressed but because sleep would appear to cause...side effects.

I haven't had any significant surgery but I did go from hypersomnolence to insomnia. As far as know this isn't uncommon in the early stages of ME. There are other conditions that can be masked initially by ME as their symptoms are similar.

Thyroid problems, for example, especially when they develop slowly, might make it seem like ME is getting worse, can cause insomnia and I find can increased achiness about the intercostal muscles - though that may not be what you're describing. It might be worth checking with your doctor to investigate if there's something else that could be treated/ruled out.