1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect this "report" has been cobbled together from an old Reuters news release and from existing texts on other sites, with no or little input from Sharpe, himself.

"...Dr Michael Sharpe, an Oxford University professor of psychological medicine, has told Reuters..."

"Dr Sharpe, according to his own Oxford University profile, focuses on complementary psychiatric care for patients with medical conditions..."

About Us
    Scott Gentry founded the Stock Daily Dish in early 2019 and had gradually built a following of avid investors and traders. Our staff consists of a number of independent contributors from various backgrounds and experience. In order to get in touch, email us at contact@stockdailydish.com.

----------------

OP's choice, but I wouldn't waste too much energy on it.

petrichor, Barry, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is becoming the longest goodbye since The Who announced their Farewell Tour in 1982.

farewell.jpg

MeSci, Barry, MEMarge and 18 others like this.
  3. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How did you find the article OP? It doesn't appear in any of the sub-menus on the website, and curiously there is no other actual content on the website.

I think it's best not to click on the link. It's really rubbish, I mean:
    Which is it? Many, or some?

ladycatlover and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got it from a google alert. You can get email alerting you when the keywords you enter are published on the web.

ME/CFS Skeptic and ladycatlover like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear, the Russian bots were missing from this story, thanks Mickael for adding them.

How many times has this guy retired from ME research ? Seems like he needs an announcement each year.

Barry, MEMarge, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think we should blame Sharpe for this unless evidence emerges that he has spoken recently on the subject. This looks to be the "work" of someone who has just got round to reading months' old "news".

Barry, Andy, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Yes, as I've said above, it's citing a Reuters release (for which, unhelpfully, no link is given by the author) and Sharpe's Uni profile page:

"...Dr Michael Sharpe, an Oxford University professor of psychological medicine, has told Reuters..."

"Dr Sharpe, according to his own Oxford University profile, focuses on complementary psychiatric care for patients with medical conditions..."

And not exactly a mainstream media site.

Barry, Hutan, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  9. Dx Revision Watch

And since another Michael Sharpe (the Scottish Labour general secretary) is currently in the news, this "Business" site may pick up some traffic because of searches for the Michael Sharpe who is Scottish Labour general secretary.

MEMarge, Barry, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Researcher'... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. Dx Revision Watch

12. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely misread this on a first pass.

alktipping, MEMarge, Barry and 14 others like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did too. It was desperately in need of a comma. :D

alktipping, MeSci, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thing about pretending Sharpe is a "top researcher" is seriously cringeworthy. He's not even a middling researcher, he's been saying the same thing (singular, not even worth a plural) for 30 years and has pretended to have left the field huffing and puffing for almost half that time, even though colleagues like Chalder are basically continuing it unhindered and with limitless funding. He hasn't brought anything new to his own thing, let alone the entire field, from his very first incompetent attempts at describing something he doesn't understand.

It's just a rehash but still the line about "top researcher" is always there. What's ironic is that much of the substance here is accurate. He is the very definition of a charlatan, out of his depth facing a very hard and complex problem, and this is the nature of criticism aimed at him and his flawed research. That's generally how people talk about charlatans who step outside of their skills. But the conclusions are detached from the facts, almost as a tribute to Sharpe's and his colleagues' own pattern of doing that.

I'm sure he will make a great commiserating partner to Wakefield and other disgraced scientists.

16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Timing is usually key - it's a distraction. Usually coincides with conference / publications / to counter positive developments and try to control narratives .

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may well be a rehash, but when the same misleading message is being broadcasted over time, it becomes a smear campaign.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2019
    alktipping, mango, Sean and 2 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Probably got another pet SMC influenced person churning this out

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's much better without :rofl:. I guess the men carrying the barn would have had their hands full ...

alktipping, Arnie Pye and TiredSam like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MS has retweeted the original reuters article *again* (2 days ago)