Speculations about the genetics of ME/CFS and DecodeME

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hoopoe, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Einstein's early work was all based on reinterpretations of the empirical work of others.

He was inspired by Hilbert's approach (in mathematics) to re-frame all of the important theoretical findings in physics and, well, succeeded in doing something similar...

The key point was 'standing on the shoulders of giants', something that most of the LongCOVID researchers failed to do, when they made their NIH cash grab. It's all new they said. If only they took the time to learn that it was not.

I am not the only one, but I have quite a list of research proposal ideas (and some idea of what techniques to use) across the spectrum, from mathematical modelling, to neuroscience, to exercise physiology, to qualitative research.

Such as theoretical modelling of the relationship between muscular blood flow and motor unit recruitment and fatigubility (and their relationship with the anaerobic threshold), further examining the neuroscience of afferent feedback from muscles and using specific new techniques in neuroscience, validating some alternatives (EEG, EMG, TMS) to maximal cardiopulmonary tests in demonstrating 2-day fatigubility and also providing an objective basis for which we could test pharmacological interventions.

I think the emphasis should be on trying to build the dart board first, rather than just throwing darts and hoping for the best.

Oh and a robust way of developing new composite (PROMs & objective measures) outcome measures that starts with qualitative research, with active participation of patients to see what doesn't work in prior scales, to see what most relevant, to develop a scale and then go back to the qualitative stage in the context of a clinical trial to ask patients whether the questions are relevant and how easily they think the scale (and other prior scales) could be biased. Doing online surveys alone is not good enough.

Rather than going oh, CFS is defined by fatigue, let's throw an bunch of 'fatigy' questions together (if anyone asks, we'll say they were generated by various experts), performing some correlation statistics (without understanding that social context biases can create false correlation) to make sure there are no odd-one-out questions, giving it to 100 consecutive attenders to a general practice and then pretending it's reliable and valid in different contexts, such as the primary outcome in clinical trials. And pretending it will have good face validity because a similar scale made by a friend was tested for face validty in a different study. She'll be right mate, I'm sure patients will love it.

Neither will researchers if they keep kicking the can down the road rather than actually doing ground breaking work. There are a few diamonds in the rough, but there aren't enough people to cause a critical mass. This is why they need to be open to patient-researchers to keep them on their toes, always asking 'can you do better'.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    MelbME, ukxmrv, lycaena and 22 others like this.
  2. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not about 'patient vs non patient researchers' though, Snowy, it's about 'knowing vs not knowing' and 'having the energy to implement that knowing vs having no or very little energy to implement that knowing.'

Arguing about and criticising research after the fact is obviously not 'wrong' but it's not very productive, very few researchers will care about that unfortunately (especially the bad ones!), and there will always be more bad research as a result. It's better to find more rough diamonds than trying to be an alchemist turning mud into gold. I think that's generally true, but it's extremely important for the ME/CFS community given the overall constraints (in money and energy) we face.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    Kitty, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evidently "one of them" was DecodeME - I'm wondering what the other was?

forestglip, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do agree with a lot of what you say and I sympathise with your concern about safety for trial participants. And I'm sorry to hear about the patients that died.

As you say, drugs are toxic and can have adverse effects. But the adverse effects of leaving people to rot when there are things that could be trialled now must be considered too. I'm not going to lecture you on what it's like to be at the mercy of a hostile medical/benefits system etc because I'm sure you're aware.
    But in my opinion that, and the nature of PEM, make this a much more urgent issue and tilt the risk/benefit axis somewhat.

If some of these long covid drugs have a positive signal in phase 2 against PEM/ fatigue, surely you would support an ME trial? Or if the drug the Norwegians are doing a pilot study on shows promise, for example?

And stuff like LDN and Mestinon needs to be properly tried, because people are using them anyway. But the OMF are doing that so perhaps a moot point.

In terms of the interesting papers you mention, surely if these findings might be worth pursuing then they are worth pursuing, because how else can they be verified or proven false? We have a lot of interesting studies in ME/CFS that no one has tried to replicate because of funding issues.

Could a drug to order really be made available so quickly? I was under the impression a new drug would take at least a decade to progresss through trials and reach patients. And that new drugs fail all the time. If what you say is true there is more hope than I thought.

HolyScrod, Jaybee00, EndME and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I am not wanting to argue that there is nothing worth doing. There are some things to follow up but the people concerned are likely to be doing that I=f they really believe their own results.

My main point was simply that I don't think forum members should be criticised of responding their time discussing science rather than raising funds. My guess is that if raising big funds for ME/CFS was really a practical option someone would have succeeded by now. And certainly not many people have any idea how todo it. On the other hand I see the discussions as hugely productive. People see different sides to an issue when they have to justify their position in debate.

Certainly for me, the discussions here are absolutely essential to the knowledge I have gained which I feed back in terms of reviewing the grant applications that do come through.

If anything gives a reliable positive signal then yes, but I am not very optimistic that anything being studied so far is going to provide a major breakthrough.

6. V.R.T.

We are in agreement there!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2024
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The axis may be tilted for some of us, but it has to be for the doctors and the ethics board too.

They see people with a puzzling but potentially reversible condition, who are (apart from ME/CFS) fairly healthy. It must be difficult to justify use of a risky drug whose benefits are uncertain even when the misery of living with ME is taken into account. Looking a year or two ahead, it's far more likely that we'll have a treatment for ME than one for organ damage caused by a cascade of adverse drug effects.

[Edited last sentence word order]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    Missense, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. V.R.T.

I understand. I am certainly not advocating for gung ho administration of anything and everything.

I am afraid im out of spoons so cant reply further

Missense, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So much this . Thanks for putting it so eloquently

10. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of infection?

11. Jonathan Edwards

Probably more of sterile pneumonitis. I am not sue this has ever been adequately sorted out. Cell depleting monoclonals can produce serious acute events.

alktipping, RedFox, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.
  12. FMMM1

Karl Morten attempted (crowdfund) to raise money to fund ME/CFS research but didn't succeed.

13. FMMM1

Thanks - interesting insight.
    @ME/CFS Skeptic

14. V.R.T.

I'd like to ask you a little bit more about this if you dont mind: Could a drug to order really be made available so quickly? I was under the impression a new drug would take at least a decade to progresss through trials and reach patients. Do you have a reasonable best case scenario for how a good result from Decode ME might play out?

15. Jonathan Edwards

The very best thing would be that DecodeME would find a link to some very obscure but crucial control protein - let us say TWEAK (it exists). Suddenly we would realise that ME/CFS might be mediated by short range interaction between TWEAK and gamma-interferon sensitising nerve endings. The task is then to produce a specific TWEAK antagonist that competed for the interferon binding site. Setting up assays for competitive inhibition of binding might take 3-6 months I guess - assuming that either a drug company or a TWEAK biology lab had the wherewithal to get going as soon as the paper is read. I don't know how long it would take to synthesise candidate small molecular mass inhibitors (simple drugs) but I think these days much of that is streamlined. The task would be similar to the generation of protease inhibitors for AIDS, which was quite quick once the target was known. If the choice was to make a monoclonal antibody to do the job you just clone out antibodies with high binding, make some cDNA and go into production. I may be oversimplifying but the biotech people do all sorts of things very quickly these days.

To make the scenario even better we could make it that it was realised that this TWEAK pathway was a key factor in 'malaise' associated with all sorts of illnesses and post-surgery and whatever and looked a really good target for a drug with wide applicability. Lots of research groups would get on to it and just like the Covid vaccines you would have a product made by several in no time at all (under 2 years). Roll-out to clinical use, if the drug was really effective, could be six months, with two phase 3 trials in parallel and accelerated approval.

That is optimistic, but the main point is that once the companies have seen something as profitable they can get it through to the clinic pretty quick. There might even be repurposable monoclonals - similar to rituixmab - but which actually work.

16. V.R.T.

Thanks, that's very clear. Fingers and toes crossed then I suppose!

EzzieD, Kitty, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  17. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely interested in looking at the Decode data. Have a few things we're interested in.

Sneaky value of this type of resource is providing data for short projects to get masters students interested in this research area to perhaps do a PhD.

EzzieD, RedFox, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  18. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a focus on understanding PEM is the best funding direction.

I think you need to know when patients are close to it. Knowing that accurately would be a key test to timing different intervention strategies. It's critical.

Detailed analysis of patients going through it and recovering back up close to baseline. Many different ways this could be done.

Deanne NZ, RedFox, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  19. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s been my intuition too. PEM is a major disease process and mechanism in itself. It is what makes ME stand out as a different clinical entity. I really think the large majority of research funding should go into understanding it.

sebaaa, Deanne NZ, MelbME and 9 others like this.
  20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This isn't really the right place for this, but as I always forget when it is the right moment, here goes!

It's worth bearing in mind that food can have an impact on the likelihood and severity of PEM in some of us. And if research participants need to travel or stay away from home to take part, or will need lunch because it's a full day in clinic, they're likely to vary their eating routines.

It might not even be relevant in the type of work you hope to do, but maybe it's worth adding to the list of questions to ask at the planning stage: do we need to encourage participants to eat their usual food at the usual time, and try to make sure it's feasible for them?

EzzieD, Deanne NZ, MelbME and 5 others like this.