Speculations about the genetics of ME/CFS and DecodeME

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hoopoe, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Definitely important. But...

My experience is that PEM is a permanent feature. It is always there, all that changes is how hard it is cranked up.

It is also a non-linear response, I think, which is part of why it is difficult to learn how to predict and manage.

Even the best management of it is only going to reduce the impact, which is good as far as it goes. An actual cure will require fixing the underlying problem driving PEM.

sebaaa, EzzieD, Lindberg and 10 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This! I was trying to say something about it when I was waffling about food yesterday, but couldn't muster a string of words that made sense.

Deanne NZ, V.R.T., MelbME and 4 others like this.
  3. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is very little research on it at this stage. What you've described means it's not simple and likely multi-factorial, which I appreciate and is likely true.

Patients currently control exertion of skeletal muscles, some thinking and sensory processes (dark room, reduce noise, etc). But there are internal processes they do have control in over exerting. These are sympathetic drive, immune activation, adrenaline dumping processes (MCAS, POTS), etc. Then there is the fact that energy recovery processes can vary between people.

Even if PEM was a linear process of occurring over a certain level of exertion (not saying it is). It would still appear non-linear because a patient can only control a few factors of exertion.

Agree on the cure or best treatment opportunity being a fixing of PEM.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    sebaaa, Sid, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  4. MelbME

Great point and definitely something to consider. We're really trying to transition as much research to the home as possible because of these types of reasons. Of course CPET or imaging based studies still can't unfortunately.

Very interested in trying to get telehealth and home visits as being more common place for MECFS patients in Australia too. I think this is an important part of improving the care pathway that can be worked on now.

EzzieD, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  5. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very happy to see you mentioning the “adrenaline dump” or “adrenaline rush” phenomenon a lot of us experience. It’s criminally underreported in the lieterature, I only know of one ME study in english that mentions it, and mostly in passing.

Sid, Kitty, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  6. MelbME

Well the care model for patients we have built up in our head is about energy preservation and we see pacing and medications to help curtail uncontrollable energy dumps as critical to that.

If you reframe the perspective around energy conservation like we do then it becomes clearer.

Energy drags: controllable exertion (movement, cognitive tasks, sensory input), uncontrollable exertion (infections, adrenaline dumping co-morbidities, overactive immune, sympathetic drive elevated)

Reduced energy provision: reduced blood flow, poor digestion and dietary substrate provision, mitochondrial inefficiency.

From this perspective PEM could simply be dropping below an energy threshold where certain vital organs drastically reduce function which is reversible but has consequence to restarting energy production systemically. Kidneys is a prime target since the gradient of substrate reabsorption needs to be maintained by a certain energy threshold. But liver could certainly also be impacted.

Anyway, this is our broad working idea for some time.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    Kitty, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I think there is a 'not' missing from that sentence.

Otherwise, yes, there is a lot going on we don't have control over. It doesn't matter how carefully I manage my activity patterns, I still end up being knocked for six at random by unpredictable flare ups.

MelbME, Kitty, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kitty

I've no idea what's actually happening in the body, but for me the adrenaline pump feels like the backup battery kicking in.

I don't get it unless I've overexerted, and one of the problems is the inability to switch it off when the 'emergency' (i.e., trying to complete a mundane task rather than leave it half finished) is over. Nine hours later I can't sleep because the wretched thing is still going.

Sean, MarcNotMark, Eleanor and 5 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the 'tired but wired' sleepless night(s) I experience as an early stage of a crash.

Sean, EzzieD, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  10. MelbME

Well adrenaline doesn't create energy, it pushes you to use more though it makes substrates of energy (like glucose and fatty acids) more readily available.

Sean, EzzieD, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  11. Kitty

That's interesting—though I guess not surprising. It might have a significant role in contributing to PEM, especially as once it starts, it's difficult to switch off.

I don't know to what extent the latter's abnormal, though. I seem to remember it being difficult to settle for a long time after an adrenaline kick before I got ill.

Sean, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the term "adrenaline" not simply being used because patients think that is what it may feel like, not because adrenaline actually bares any relevance?

I think at those times it better to avoid medical terminology, even though most of us might know what is being referred to and maybe we should come up with a better and more accurate terminology. I think we should be careful referring to different things as "adrenaline dumps", "energy", "ATP" etc. In particular I wonder if we can maybe uncover more of what might be going on if we drop these kinds of terminologies and go back to the drawing board to describe what one is experiencing in more layman terms.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    ME/CFS Skeptic, obeat, Sean and 5 others like this.