Star Advertiser: Is chronic fatigue syndrome real? [Dr Oz claiming that there is a test for ME/CFS]

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not that his answer is that bad but that test he references is from Columbia's paper of last year, so not replicated or even available to the general public.
    https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/13/features/is-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-real/

Forbin, rvallee, andypants and 7 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The affliction usually affects folks age 40 to 60, most often women and Caucasians.
    (my bold)

Is that true? As far as I know this has not been looked in to that much. I only know of Leonard Jason et als "The prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Nigeria" (2007) which showed the prevalence was somewhat higher in Nigeria compared with rates from CFS epidemiological studies in USA. Not enough to conclude anything but there are no grounds to state that caucasians are more affected in general, are there?

There seems to be more patients diagnosed with ME in Norway than in the neighbour country Sweden. One of the reasons might be more awareness about ME among health care workers and patients (much thanks to the Norwegian ME Association's over 30 year long existence), but there's no reason to believe the prevalence is any lower in Sweden.

There are too many unknown factors for such conclusions from Star Advertiser.

Atle, alktipping, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Old myths die hard. This was basically the original myth: bored upper middle-class housewife affliction. Confirmation bias at its best.

4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He could be just quoting the CDC and misquoting the NAM report.

inox, ahimsa, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ad. caucasian women having higher risk - Jason et al found contrary data. From the paper "CFS: A Review of Epidemiology and Natural History Studies"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021257/

6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Below is Columbia's July 2018 write up on how the combined results of microbiome and metabolite testing identified ME/CFS patients 84% of the time. As @Andy said, it needs to be replicated, and it's not a clinical test but something that I imagine can only be found in research settings. Still, if you could be confident that 84% of the subjects in your study actually had the same condition, that would probably be a huge step forward for ME/CFS research.

https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/pu...s-get-us-closer-test-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

andypants, rvallee, inox and 2 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd say no it is not.

It is hard to say, but population based studies have found similar (often higher, but that could be due to methodological difference) prevalence in South American and Asian populations, as well as in non-white populations in the USA and UK.

Sean, Andy, andypants and 1 other person like this.