1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Still New Chronic Q Fever Cases Diagnosed 8 Years After a Large Q Fever Outbreak, 2021, Buijs et al.

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jul 25, 2021.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Background
    Chronic Q fever usually develops within 2 years after primary infection with Coxiella burnetii. We determined the interval between acute Q fever and diagnosis of chronic infection, assessed what factors contribute to a longer interval, and evaluated the long-term follow-up.

Methods
    From 2007 to 2018, patients with chronic Q fever were included from 45 participating hospitals. The interval between acute and chronic infection was calculated in patients with a known day of first symptoms and/or serological confirmation of acute Q fever. Chronic Q fever-related complications and mortality were assessed by 2 investigators based on predefined criteria.

Results
    In total, 313 (60.3%) proven, 81 (15.6%) probable, and 125 (24.1%) possible chronic Q fever patients were identified. The date of acute Q fever was known in 200 patients: in 45 (22.5%), the interval was longer than 2 years, with the longest observed interval being 9.2 years. Patients in whom serological follow-up was performed after acute Q fever were diagnosed less often after this 2-year interval (odds ratio, 0.26; 95% confidence interval, 0.12–0.54). Chronic Q fever-related complications occurred in 216 patients (41.6%). Chronic Q fever-related mortality occurred in 83 (26.5%) of proven and 3 (3.7%) of probable chronic Q fever patients.

Conclusions
    Chronic Q fever is still being diagnosed and mortality keeps occurring 8 years after a large outbreak. Intervals between acute Q fever and diagnosis of chronic infection can reach more than 9 years. We urge physicians to perform microbiological testing for chronic Q fever even many years after an outbreak or acute Q fever disease.

Source: https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab476/6283619#usercomments

MEMarge, Medfeb, Snow Leopard and 9 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Michiel. What a shame this is paywalled. I wonder if the people who go on to develop chronic Q fever experience Q-fever fatigue syndrome symptoms after the acute infection and before the chronic Q fever becomes apparent.

What this suggests to me is that the Coxiella bacteria persists in people for a long time - maybe QFS is in fact an ongoing reaction to a latent infection?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021