1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Study on Correlation between Acoustic Profiles and Fatigue, 2010, Shin-woong et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No idea why this came up on a search but it made me laugh.........

Abstract
    Objectives : The purpose of this study is to find out the correlation between the Vocal indicators and the 'Buzhongyiqi-Tang questionnaire' and the 'Chalder fatigue scale.'

Methods : This study examined the mean value of each factor in the 'Buzhongyiqi-Tang Questionnaire,' 'Chalder fatigue scale' and the different voice indicators conducted on 81 healthy adult participants in relation to the results of the /a/ /e/ /i/ /o/ /u/ pronunciation test.

Results : There was significant correlation between the pronunciation of /a/ /e/ /i/ /o/ /u/ vowels' F0 indexes and 'the Deficiency symptoms of Buzhongyiqi-Tang'. The results of the regression analysis showed the following significant findings for each pronouncing vowels: /i/ as a factor for 'the Deficiency symptoms of Buzhongyiqi-Tang'.; /a/ for 'the Consumptive fever of Buzhongyiqi-Tang'.; /i/ for 'the Vocal inflammation of Buzhongyiqi-Tang.; and /e/ as a factor of 'the Chadler physical fatigue'.

Conclusions : The study showed a negative correlation between the Fundamental Frequency and the mean value of the questionnaire, which could be understood as higher the fatigue level, increased level of vocal vibration and higher pitch tone compared to the less fatigued group. We expect future studies to conduct research on methods to diagnose other illnesses using the vocal indicators based on the correlation between the vocal index and illnesses prescribed under traditional oriental medicine.

http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/JAKO201027742025493.pub?&lang=en

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Wonko like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The paper is in Korean, so that hurdle resulted in me not reading the paper, but if women were more likely to be fatigued, perhaps due to bearing a big share of the tasks of housework and childcare on top of paid work, (or more likely to admit to being fatigued in the CFQ), then it wouldn't be surprising to find that higher pitch tone was correlated with more fatigue.

In men, higher testosterone has been associated with a lower voice, and low testosterone has been associated with fatigue. So, fatigue being correlated with a higher voice is not a completely incredible finding, just a bit of a circuitous route to finding out the core problem.

Perhaps we can expect a forthcoming paper on how lessons to speak (or sing) with a deeper voice can solve fatigue...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Sean, shak8 and Trish like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. The future of evidence-based medicine is, well, this is it. Enjoy the house you built.

Hutan likes this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heh, wouldn't even surprise me. Recently there was a study showing that people who live longer have fewer gait/balance issues, and of course the media buzz, which the researchers would probably not object to, was that people should work on their balance to live longer. Ironically, if people did that it would mostly make this evidence disappear, since you'd have people still in poor health but slightly better balance.

I facepalmed a lot that day. The whole issue of correlation vs. causation is probably the biggest problem medicine faces, leads to so much nonsense because of the way academia work and how high-quantity is rewarded at the expense of quality.

Sean, RedFox, Creekside and 3 others like this.