Successful Psychological Strategies of Experienced Chronic Fatigue Patients: A Qualitative Study, 2021, Hall et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Aug 10, 2021.

1. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A hearty laugh thanks to you both. It would not be surprising that the editor publishes Michiel's letter.

Social strata aside, medical doctors are incited to push through long, busy and stressful working hours from their first year of education at medical school. This behavior is encouraged early on and all throughout their education by senior staff that supervises them as students, interns and residents.

It may be that a significant proportion of MDs deals with chronic fatigue to some degree, especially in financially overstretched, understaffed hospitals and surgeries. The result is that disregard or scorn rather than compassion towards patients presenting with chronic fatigue is the norm.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Barry, EzzieD, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Therapy by koan?

Demonstrate moving in stillness, young Grasshopper, via the medium of interpretive free-form convalescence.

EzzieD, alktipping, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, well, that's simple: we don't. This can end here. We don't live well. At all. This is a well-documented fact. Why even make this obviously false assumption? We survive, in no way does this ever amount to living well. They'd know if they'd ever listen. And what in the hell is this "(or even because of)" doing there?! This is borderline "yes you were raped but a baby is always a blessing". Hell not even borderline it's just as disgusting.

And boy the lengths some people will go to avoid doing their job. Amazing, in the end it's literally more work.
    You can find identical statements to this going back decades. No, it "may" not, we know for a fact, we have decades showing otherwise. But, sure, crippling selective institutional amnesia does just as well.

EzzieD, alktipping, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Basically Deepak Chopra substituting quantum woo with neuroscience woo.

alktipping, Simbindi, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It appears they asked among patient organisations for people to volunteer for the study who feel they are 'living well' with chronic fatigue. So it's a self selecting huge bias intended from the start. From the minimal data it seems many of them were educated, employed, had families etc.

I am very uncomfortable with conclusions being drawn on the basis of such a small self selected sample with effectively predetermined outcomes and thinking this is useful in learning about living with ME/CFS.

Maybe the main effect will be for pwME who are less fortunate to feel judged when they are told some pw chronic fatigue 'can live well despite (or even because of) their condition.'

EzzieD, alktipping, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why I'm assuming that this article is about 'chronic fatigue' and not ME.

EzzieD, alktipping, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My reading is that the authors don’t think they need to make this distinction.

They understand the symptom of chronic fatigue is not the same as CFS which they acknowledge may be a distinct biomedical condition, which they confusingly also seem to regard as solely defined as persistent chronic fatigue. However I think they see it as irrelevant if their subjects have ME/CFS or not and assume that any conclusions they chose to draw from their arbitrarily pre selected subjects will be relevant to anyone with the symptom of chronic fatigue including CFS and MUS.

[corrected typos]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  8. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wanted to bump this one. It hits it on the head: Yes, I do as a pwME want to learn more about successful strategies to live as well as I can when I can with this condition. But it is not a doctor’s role to focus on that.
    I especially like your last paragraph.

Ultimately (as I’m pleased to see @Trish already mentioned), this is a selection of people who would choose to characterise themselves as doing well, who would volunteer to take the time to do this and are happy to be held up as an example case for others to learn from.
    I’m afraid that demonstrates a correlation with the attitudes observed and reported on …and not much about causation. (Added for clarity: Nor about treatment or what to do if you’re not currently ‘doing well’. To put it very simply: people selected for thinking they have a ‘good attitude’ report having a ‘good’ attitude)

And this bit I’m just very sad to find out that this is closer to home than I initially realised.