1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suddenly my head spins

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Hoopoe, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn't really spin of course, now that would be concerning. It just feels like it's spinning. It started a few minutes ago and is different from what I had experienced before, mainly more intense and not apparently related to movement. Also my palms are moist and I feel warm.

Should I be worried?

andypants, JaneL, Barry and 6 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sound horrible, strategist. It sounds a bit like I felt when I had labyrinthitis but I guess it could be anything or nothing. I hope it goes away.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does it occur when you change position? Can you feel your eyeballs moving?

My ME onset was a sudden vertigo attack and over the years it's mostly positional, but I have had occasions (more recently) when my head spins for no reason- mostly in the mornings.

Your palms might be moist because of feeling anxious from spinning. I experience this too.

4. Hoopoe

It's improving and being replaced by a mild headache and pressure in head sensation.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found that using hand-held screens regularly led to problems with vertigo, particularly if I was looking down at the screen. I don't know why it happened but it seems to have stopped since I changed my habits. Best wishes with it - it was a really unpleasant thing to go through.

6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get something similar but its more situational, if i need to balance or squat or bend over or use a chair not at my house and i'm not used to i get fraction of a second loss of balances, i've had a few falls from this and sometimes i catch myself in time. Sometimes it just happens for no reason in well repeated situations. Spit second head spin that takes a few mins to completely subside but mostly subsides in 5-10 secs.
    Also happened the first few times i used the scooter at the grocery store, it seems to be a loss of equilibrium especially in "novel" situations

Not sure if this is the same as what your getting?

ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure where you are Strategist but where I am in England the hayfever season started early and today my ears feel blocked and tender. No sneezing. I feel so dizzy and tired and generally out of sorts.

Any thing in the atmosphere or the home that could be causing a reaction?

ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  8. Hoopoe

I was sitting and it started suddenly for no apparent reason. I had a snack earlier but it seems strange that food could cause something like this.

ladycatlover, JaneL and Trish like this.
  9. Trish

How's it feeling now?

ladycatlover, JaneL and Wonko like this.
  10. Hoopoe

It's mostly a headache now.

11. Hoopoe

The only thing that was different about today was that I had a lot of carbonated water.

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just asked my wife about this, and she says that yes this happens to her occasionally, and she is pretty confident it is due to concentrating on her laptop screen - she said that without any prompting from me. Says that aside from when she has a bug, it is the only time it happens to her, and just for a few seconds.

However, if there are any doubts, then it's for a doctor to diagnose of course.

ladycatlover, Mij and JaneL like this.
  13. Trish

Take care. If in doubt, consult a doctor.

ladycatlover, Mij, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It also makes me think of labyrinthitis a bit but that definitely gets worse with movement so it's unlikely. Even a slight head tilt brings it up when it's in full swing.

JaneL and ladycatlover like this.
  15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An inner ear infection?

16. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it was a great deal of water, there might be a connection.

I've seen several sources that say drinking more that 0.8 to 1.0 liters of water per hour of can reduce your blood's sodium concentration enough to cause hyponatremia (low sodium). The intake threshold probably varies somewhat due to body size and other factors. Early symptoms of hyponatremia can include dizziness and headache.

Drinking too much water can even be fatal, but it's rare because you'd have to drink a LOT in a few hours. Some say as little as 5 liters, but more often 10-20 liters (about 2.6 to 5.2 gallons).

https://draxe.com/water-intoxication/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  17. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whenever anything weird pops up I try to think back if I've made any sort of medication/supplement changes. Hopefully it just goes away :/

18. Judee

Judee Established Member

Talking about head tilts and motions that tilt the head during the episodes by some posters makes me think it is the neck joints moving around.

There have been a lot of posts lately on PR about CCI/AII affecting a lot of us who have hyperjoint mobility.

I haven't been tested but I do get hyperjoint mobility in my upper neck (as well as everywhere else) and even though I have some OI (orthostatic intolerance) the only time the room spins or the floor tilts is when my neck is subligated badly. Usually a visit or two to the chiropractor makes it go away. (I'm not necessarily suggesting that the same treatment will work for others but it helps me a lot.)

Like @Esther12 said it can be made worse by looking down at and reading on my phone.

Hope you find out what it is because it can be scary and dangerous.

JaneL likes this.
  19. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) last year. The initial episode was rather scary since it came on suddenly and I had never had anything like it before. I was so dizzy and nauseous out of the blue that I felt I needed to get to A&E but couldn't be upright long enough to make it to the car for my wife to drive me. We eventually called an ambulance. A paramedic came in a non-ambulance vehicle, hooked me up to an eeg, which confirmed there was nothing more sinister, and diagnosed vertigo. He gave me a shot of Stemetil and the worst of it eventually subsided. He stayed with me for quite a while until I was feeling better. Saved a trip to emergency.

My GP confirmed it later. I have had a few episodes since. The exercises/manoeuvers designed to move the small calcium deposits in my inner ear do seem to work. In the middle of an episode, tilting my head so it is horizontal, facing sideways brings on massive dizziness which goes away if I stay in that position for long enough.

ahimsa, ladycatlover, Mij and 5 others like this.